Solar dump to water heater (Boat)

Leighton Thomas

Jul 9, 2021, 7:03:17 AMJul 9
to electrodacus

Solar dump to water heater

What does the collective think of this idea?

Excess solar to heat calorifier, thinking of using this dual voltage heating element from surejust.co.uk

teejay heater pic.jpg

12 Volt/240 Volt Twin Immersion 2 1/4" BSP.

300 watt 12 volt side - 750 watt 240 volt side.

12V & 230V thermostats included.

Using the Electrodacus SBMS0 and its DSSR20 with Diversion to supply the 12V side, keeping the 230V option available on shore power.
IMG_20201009_121939540.jpg
The solar panels are 18V will this be a problem for these elements?

For wiring size 4 or 6mm 300w/12v = 25A?   2 metre cable run approx..

All suggestions welcomed, Thanks

Dacian Todea

Jul 12, 2021, 8:34:06 PMJul 12
to electrodacus
How many solar panels do you have and want to connect to the heating element ?
As long as you only have two of those with one DSSR20 with diversion the heating element will be perfectly fine.

Clowny666

Jul 13, 2021, 5:51:22 AMJul 13
to electrodacus
Wow, I didn't know these existed as I am trying to solve exactly the same problem as you. Thank you

Paul Rimmer

Jul 13, 2021, 10:47:06 PMJul 13
to electrodacus
Great idea!  Anyone find a decent 110V version of the dual voltage immersion heater?

Clowny666

Jul 15, 2021, 9:19:51 AMJul 15
to electrodacus
Ha, that's what I am looking for! Well, a 24v/110v version would be my ideal unicorn but I don't think there is one yet that I have discovered.