10MWh as heat energy from my solar PV heating.

Dacian Todea

Mar 16, 2021, 3:19:35 PM3/16/21
to electrodacus
I just noticed I exceeded 10MWh for my solar house heating since this was installed.
In the past I was using propane from the small barbeque style cylinders.
Exchanging one of them here is about 25CAD and the total energy inside a full one is about 100kWh tho when converted to usable heat is about 80kWh
So if I were to add up the savings compared to that it will be 10000kWh / 80kWh = 125 of those propane cylinders.
125 x 25CAD = 3125CAD in savings and this has just started and should be able to do at least 10x more over the usable life of the system.
There are another 6.6MWh that were used for other devices but that has also ended up as heat.
Even the battery has output close to 4MWh (3.824MWh) and the battery capacity is just 4.5kWh thus getting close to the equivalent of 1000 cycles at 100% DOD equivalent. It is more like 3000 cycles at 30% DOD but the total energy stored is important not so much how variable depth of discharge was.

Energy.jpg

Paul Barrette

Mar 16, 2021, 3:44:28 PM3/16/21
to electrodacus
What are you using as Thermal Storage?

Dacian Todea

Mar 17, 2021, 2:22:18 AM3/17/21
to electrodacus
Paul,

Currently I have just the concrete slab as thermal storage and that is just above 90kWh storage capacity but I will need to add more and also increase the PV array a bit to deal with November and December.