Current Limit on Mean Well power supplies

Ross Freeman

May 2, 2021, 7:58:36 AM5/2/21
to electrodacus
Since our LIFEPO battery banks can take lots of current when charging, how does the Mean Well power supply handle over-current conditions?

I'm considering the NES-350-15. My understanding is that in over-current conditions, it shuts of it's output for a few seconds, then turns on again. Can someone help me understand this stuff. Won't connecting this supply to my LIFEPO battery bank put this power supply in an over-current condition?

Thank you,

Ross

Dacian Todea

May 2, 2021, 1:37:24 PM5/2/21
to electrodacus
Ross,

That is a constant current limiting power supply meaning that current will be limited to 23A in case of that 15V version https://www.mouser.ca/datasheet/2/260/MEANWELL_05012019_NES-350-1590161.pdf
Problem with that is that it has no remote ON/OFF so you need a DSSR20 or a BP65 to stop the charging.
What you say turning off will be valid for a power supply that has just constant voltage limiting. The one you mentioned has both CV and CC so it can be used as a charger.
This power supply will enter constant current limiting when connected to a battery.