EVE 280Ah battery capacity test.

Dacian Todea (electrodacus)

Nov 12, 2022, 6:02:28 PM11/12/22
to electrodacus
I managed to fully charged the battery yesterday so decided to do a capacity test by fully discharging.
It was actually at full charge a few times so I used some loads to both test the inverter with 2800W+ for about an hour or two and use the available solar to heat the house.
Then I stopped the loads a bit to late to get again to full 100% SOC but 97% was close enough to start the test and the 3% delta will be considered at the end.

You can see the energy counters just before resetting and the fact that I got just over 14kWh from the 3.1kW PV array
P1330797.JPG
as seen from solar graph there where a few clouds but not bad and peak was around 2900W
P1330810.JPG
The start point at 97% with a load around 900 to 1000W (a resistive heater).
P1330804.JPG
P1330817.JPG
P1330822.JPG
P1330829.JPG
I took an one hour pause from discharging here so that discharge will end at a more reasonable hour in the morning.
The inverter idle is quite bad at 55 to 60W but other than that is a great inverter and very capable.
P1330833.JPG
Test was restarted here.
P1330844.JPG
P1330853.JPG
P1330858.JPG
P1330864.JPG
P1330868.JPG
P1330873.JPG
P1330876.JPG
P1330878.JPG
P1330882.JPG
So test ended probably at around 4.9% or so with the declared capacity as 540Ah witch I was already considered as conservative.
The energy counter was exactly at 500Ah about 13kWh but we need to add the 3% deficit at the start so 515Ah or 13.4kWh usable capacity in the 3.55V to 2.8V range.
There may be a max 1 or 2% due to small imbalance as pack did not had time to properly top balance as it was just the first full charge since installed.
And there may be 1 or 2% if discharged to spec 2.5V and charged to 3.65V but is a bit of a stretch to get to 280Ah.
In any case I'm more than happy with the results as the capacity is in range and less relevant than degradation over time so real test will only be available in 1 to 3 years when I can observe the amount of cycling and calendar degradation of this cells.
P1330886.JPG
P1330893.JPG
Now the attempt to charge the pack as the sun just rised.
P1330895.JPG
P1330900.JPG
Discharge was enable somewhere between 7 and 11% when all cells exceeded 3.2V but I manually turned off the inverter to give the best chance of having the battery charged before the end of the day.
P1330904.JPG
P1330907.JPG
P1330909.JPG
P1330919.JPG
P1330930.JPG
Unfortunately just about 10kWh where available today due to clouds so no full charge.
P1330934.JPG
P1330937.JPG
P1330924.JPG

Will try to do a more controlled test in January or February when day is longer and I can do also a full charge.

Dacian Todea (electrodacus)

Mar 19, 2023, 8:12:54 PM3/19/23
to electrodacus
I did now a proper capacity test as the battery is now balanced after all this time and was properly fully charged.

The result is not that impressive with the 3.55V basically fully charged down to 2.8V basically not much left to 2.5V the capacity is as you see in photo below just 512.89Ah that means each cell is 256.4Ah a bit far from the 280Ah spec but to be fair there is maybe a bit more down to 2.5V but I do not like to stress the battery even for an annual battery test and it will still be far from 280Ah maybe it could get to 260Ah
While charging I put back about 513.65Ah so just 1Ah more. Maybe it could be 2Ah if I will do a few top charge cycles at lower charge current to get to exactly where I started from but anyway the difference between what you put in and what you get out is insignificant less than 3% loss in therms of energy.
P1350167.JPG

Here are a few photos in the order that test was performed as I started at about 14:02 yesterday from full battery with a discharge test about 25A discharge current with some occasional 48A at the beginning.
It worked overnight until today around 11:04 then from that point charging was started and it was fully charged in about 6 hours at 17:01

P1350018.JPG
P1350029.JPG
P1350033.JPG
P1350045.JPG
P1350061.JPG
P1350068.JPG
P1350072.JPG
P1350078.JPG
P1350081.JPG
P1350084.JPG
P1350108.JPG
Still have the battery capacity set at 540Ah will need to set to the realistic 510Ah to have the SOC correct indication 0% not 5% when empty but I was still hoping it was just imbalanced battery but that was not much and was corrected since initial install and test. Will test next year to see degradation after first year.
P1350121.JPG
Now charging starts. It was a bit hazy but no thick clouds.
P1350123.JPG
P1350131.JPG
P1350135.JPG
P1350141.JPG
P1350147.JPG
P1350153.JPG
P1350156.JPG
P1350158.JPG
P1350161.JPG
P1350163.JPG
P1350174.JPG
Hope it will still be here for next year in March to compare the results.
Also hope for less than 1% degradation but I will be disappointed if it will be 2% or above.
The good thing is that cells have equal capacity and 13kWh usable is still great even if the 4.5kWh battery is still enough for our needs this is mostly for testing as at least 80% of you are using this type of cells and for good reason as they are the best value.

Dacian Todea (electrodacus)

Mar 19, 2023, 8:26:58 PM3/19/23
to electrodacus
Short update about the amount of energy delivered by battery since the test in November as I was able to find a photo with the about page from that initial test even if the date was not set in the SBMS it was done in 12 Nov so about 4 months ago.
P1330815-12-11-2022.JPG
P1350174.JPG

So 572.803kWh - 11.996kWh = 560.8kWh in the last 4 months.
As the usable battery capacity is about 13.3kWh that will be the equivalent of 42 cycles at 100% DOD so not that much and likely from now we get in to summer there will be barely any use until next winter
It will be more about the calendar aging that anything so I hope is below 1% or not far from that.