Panel failure de-potting

Dacian Todea

Nov 5, 2020, 2:37:32 PM11/5/20
to electrodacus
"
Hello Dacian,
I tried to post to google groups but I couldn't. If you think this has merit as a group topic, please move it there.
I have been told one of my new 300W panels is failing. Santansolar didn't hesitate to initiate a replacement. They said the panel might over heat the junction box and that i should unhook it to be safe. My panels don't run through a junction box.  They run straight to a DSSR20 then to a breaker. I flipped the breaker off so the panels would be off. Of course the DSSR20 light is still on.. should I unhook the sensor wire running to the SBMS0?  Will that turn the DSSR20 off? Is that enough to protect the solar panel wire, the DSSR20, the parallel panel?
The wire is 10g at a 3.6 meters. Panels are 300w 9.8A in 2 parallel.

On a side note: the remaining 2 sets of panels are charging my 380Ah batteries more efficiently than I expected. For instance, this morning the bank is at 73% and if I don't run the microwave and big floor vacuum excessively, I might fully recharge by end of day.

Regards
Mike in Amarillo TX bus
"

Mike,

I posted here as that seems like a strange failure and I will appreciate if you can provide more info about the brand that produced that panel as it seems a very modern/new panel with half cells.
Looking closely at the photo it seems it was a manufacturing defect where there are two cells on top of eachother and slightly shifted under another cell so all problems are likely caused by this extra half cell that automation robot dropped by mistake.
You could contact the manufacturer and or seller and I'm sure they will agree to replace this panel free of charge just based on this photo you made.
Is this panel one of the two panels you use ? What is the output current in full sunt from this panel or the group of two panels ?

About google groups I just seen this error "Embedding groups is no longer supported and will be turned off soon"  so it seems I will need to post a direct link to google groups as I can no longer embed the page in to my own webpage. Maybe that is why you were unable to post there.

20201020_120804_resized2.jpg