SBMS120 not showing proper amps

84 views
Skip to first unread message

Jim A

unread,
Jul 26, 2021, 11:22:09 PMJul 26
to electrodacus
Hi Dacian,  I have a SBMS120.  I recently switched from a Magnum MS2000 inverter/charger to a Victron Multiplus 3000.  After hooking up the Victron everything works the way it should (inverter, charger, SBMS charging disconnect).  However, the SBMS is not showing the charge amps. it is showing the correct voltage.  I didn't change any of the SBMS settings.  Any idea what could be going on?  thx, jim

Dacian Todea

unread,
Jul 27, 2021, 4:10:10 PMJul 27
to electrodacus
Jim,

A photo of the diagnostic screen will be useful.  Best guess is that one of the ADC1 shunt sense wires is disconnected or where disconnected during SBMS power up.

Jim A

unread,
Jul 29, 2021, 12:22:08 AMJul 29
to electrodacus
Dacian, here's a pic of the diagnostic screen from earlier today...
IMG_0120.jpg

Dacian Todea

unread,
Jul 29, 2021, 11:43:21 AMJul 29
to electrodacus
Jim,
I do not see anything wrong in that photo. The charging at that particular time is disabled as battery is fully charged and there is just a small discharge current some is from Load+ so some DC load and some is from external shunt likely just the inverter self consumption nothing else.
During charging you should see that battery current is shown as positive currently is negative -1.643A as battery is discharged.

Jim A

unread,
Aug 1, 2021, 5:07:35 PMAug 1
to electrodacus
Here's another pic from earlier today.  I have the solar disconnected and the Multiplus 3000 is charging.  When the high cell reaches it cutoff limit it will show 100%. But no amps are registering going in, so the percentage charge remains at 85% until then.  I have double checked all the connections. I have reprogramed the Multiplus to make sure all was correct.  It was working before I switched from the Magnum to the Victron. Am I or did I do something wrong?
.IMG_0124.jpg

Dacian Todea

unread,
Aug 2, 2021, 10:32:23 AMAug 2
to electrodacus
Jim,

It just looks like your external current shunt is disabled from menu. Go to ADC settings and set the Ext current shunt to ON "1"
You have a significant load (not sure about your external shunt value) but the SBMS shows only the Load+ current that is just around 1.2A

Jim A

unread,
Aug 2, 2021, 1:25:04 PMAug 2
to electrodacus
Wow, that was the issue.  The ADC setting was at '0'.  I did reset it to '1'.  That's amazing because I'm positive that I didn't touch any of those settings.  But it's working now.  Do other people experience strange glitches like this or it just me?

Dacian Todea

unread,
Aug 3, 2021, 1:29:33 AMAug 3
to electrodacus
There is no glitch. You either set the ADC to 0 or you did not saved the setting going to Save Device settings and then at some point power cycled the SBMS buy removing power and reconnecting and so if it was not saved as "1" then it default to whatever it was saved last time "0" or maybe you pushed the factory reset and then did a power cycle. 

Jim A

unread,
Aug 3, 2021, 11:04:21 AMAug 3
to electrodacus
I know I didn't change any settings when I switched out the inverter, so I must have forgotten to 'save device settings' the last time (a long time ago) that I did make a change.  A good lesson learned.... double check all the settings!
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages