Ferrules Size for New SBMS0

Marinepower

Jan 13, 2021, 12:25:32 AM1/13/21
to electr...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know what size ferrules will fit the new style of spring connector on the SBMS0?  I tried 0.50 without luck.  Do the 0.34s fit by any chance?

MP

Dacian Todea

Jan 13, 2021, 1:47:57 AM1/13/21
to electrodacus
Why not use solid wires ? Much easier and no need for ferrules ?
Not sure what sort of units you are using for 0.50 or 0.34 and what sort of wires you have but most likely you will need ferules without the plastic shroud (non insulated ferrules) to be able to fit as the connectors have a 2.5mm pitch so fairly tight.
If you already have ferrules that fit the wires you should be able to easily remove the plastic insulator part before installing the ferrule to wire.

Marinepower

Jan 13, 2021, 2:08:44 AM1/13/21
to electr...@googlegroups.com
Ferrules seem to be commonly sized by their mm2 area.

So 0.50mm2 or 0.34mm2.  Sorry for not including the units.

O.34mm2 corresponds with AWG 22.

Application is marine and solid core wire is not permitted in marine applications.

The insulation seems to fit ok for the smaller 0.50mm2 ferrule I tried, but the diameter of the crimped ferrule is too large,

Dacian Todea

Jan 13, 2021, 12:38:02 PM1/13/21
to electrodacus
So you have 22 AWG wires ? Usually CAT5 / 6 / 7 with AWG 22 will have solid wires. You need for almost all connections twisted pairs and unless you want to twist wires manually is best to get CATx cables and the solid core ones are best option.
The uninstalled ferules are the best option. The light blue 0.25mm2 will work as it has 2.3mm diameter for the plastic insulation so slightly less than the 2.5mm pitch and you will need the longer one so second in that table.
This are signal wires very light weight maybe those are exempt as they are very light weight and if secured they should have no problems with vibrations. You can consider the CAT5 like a stranded wire with 8 strands :)

Marinepower

Jan 13, 2021, 8:33:44 PM1/13/21
to electrodacus
I was hoping to use 20AWG, shielded & twisted for the shunt and temp sensor.  Something like:  https://www.ancorproducts.com/en/products/wire-and-cable/multi-conductor/round-instrument

The rest would just be 20 AWG.  https://www.ancorproducts.com/en/158025

I think perhaps no ferrule will work on the new SBMS0 connectors because it looks like the max wire diameter is 1mm according to the connector spec sheet:  https://www.tme.com/Document/64ad43a3b1c6f9487a2e2b96d5a40918/PTSA0.5-5-2.5-Z.pdf

The smallest ferrule I have seen are 1.3mm diameter.

I'll just have to make up a custom connector going from solid core wire to stranded.

Dacian Todea

Jan 14, 2021, 1:40:56 AM1/14/21
to electrodacus
I only have the TE-Connectivity  966066-3  and they a bit to short the longer 966066-4 will probably fit but that is about the largest that this connector can handle. I got those for the DSSR20 connectors that are larger with 3.5mm pin pitch.
For the Phoenix connector on the SBMS0 the 966066-2 is ideal but that will work with standard CAT5 and CAT6 that are stranded with 24 or 23 AWG.
The thicker wires will be heavier so more susceptible to vibration damage. No matter what wire you decide to use it is more important that adequate strain relief is used as close as possible to connection points. There are two strain relief points on the new SBMS0 so you can use that if there is no other point around use those.

Here I just found a photo where you can see the use of two zip ties as strain relief for the CAT6 cables with solid 24AWG wires. I'm fairly cerebration that no level of vibration will damage those solid wires as they are super light weight and with proper close strain relief. Also even if any of those wires where to brake (open circuit) it will still be safe as any of the connections being open will result in a fail safe scenario. If one of the ADC wires is broken the you will see a large current so SOC will no longer be properly calculated and you will notice that but battery will still be protected as that is based on voltage. If any of the EXT IOx is broken then whatever device that EXT IOx controls will power OFF so again safe and something you will notice.
 Back-WiFi-2.jpg

Marinepower

Jan 14, 2021, 2:53:21 AM1/14/21
to electrodacus

Dacian,

thanks for your responce and the picture of the strain relieve on the Cat 5.

Slightly unsure why the TE- Connectivity 966066-2 should fit.

If I am reading the Phoenix connection data sheet correctly, it shows that the insert diameter is 1mm diameter?

The 966066-2 you mention above is 1.05mm outside diameter( drawing link below).

Anyways  -I'll order some of the 966066-2 and give them a try.  Maybe when crimped it will fit?

Also, according to this drawing the 966066-2 is made for 23 AWG?  So maybe I'll just use CAT 5 / 6 stranded.

Your comment that if the solid core fails due to vibration it will fail open will certainly save your battery but it will also mean you lose power on board.  On a sail boat in storm with autopilot engaged that can be a very dangerous condition.

Dacian Todea

Jan 14, 2021, 12:33:12 PM1/14/21
to electrodacus
When you crimp that ferule the diameter will get smaller. Also those Phoenix connectors have a square input due to their construction and if you use a square crimping tool then you will end up with a square shaped section on that ferule and the side of that square will be below 1mm
Yes those 966066-2 are made for 23 AWG so excellent for CAT5/6 stranded that is usually 24 or 23 AWG.
Any equipment can fail so if you need fail safe systems you need to have redundancy like two separate storage systems ideally also made with different components.