Heat sink

Josh Peterson

Oct 4, 2019, 5:07:19 PM10/4/19
to electrodacus
Can I use a 24"x48"x1/4" 5052 aluminium plate for the heat sink it has a thermal conductivity of 138w per sq meter?
Screenshot_20191004-150347_Chrome.jpg

Dacian Todea

Oct 4, 2019, 8:35:56 PM10/4/19
to electrodacus
Josh,

That seems a bit large and heat will not travel to fast trough the size of that plate. I have an even thicker aluminium plate and I still need to use a fan to keep the DMPPT450 with around 6000W of heat elements installed.  Is 120mmx120mm 12V fan used at just 9V or so fairly low speed flowing in front of the DMPPT450 to keep it at decently cool temperature.
So that plate is just to large it will not be that effective as a heatsink you can just use a smaller piece and a low speed fan as it will be way more effective.
My heatsink is about 6" x 35" x 3/8" and the fan is needed to keep the internal DMPPT450 temperature below 50C (that is the temperature measured by the micocontroller in the middle of the board there are hotter parts than that so is not a very indicative temperature).

Josh Peterson

Jan 6, 2020, 10:59:12 PM1/6/20
to electrodacus
Can I use a 24 volt computer fan with a 36v to 24 v dc to dc converter directly from the pv side of the dmppt?

Dacian Todea

Jan 6, 2020, 11:03:00 PM1/6/20
to electrodacus
If that DC-DC converter is capable of at least 50V DC input then yes else if is just 36 or 40V that will not be enough as open circuit voltage on 60 cell panels can exceed 40V in a cold day and spikes when current is stopped can be fairly high also.
Maybe an easier solution will be to have two 24V fans of same type connected in series.

Josh Peterson

Jan 30, 2020, 4:17:17 PM1/30/20
to electrodacus
I've got a 1" x8"x6 block of 6061 aluminium I plan on mounting it to the larger plate and was wondering if i should use thermal pads .5mm between the dmppt and the plate and between the 1" and the 1/4" plate?

Dacian Todea

Jan 30, 2020, 4:23:06 PM1/30/20
to electrodacus
Josh,

Yes a thermal pad will be good to use for better thermal contact.