DSSR20 physical distance from solar panels

Electrons4me

Feb 17, 2021, 5:24:09 PM2/17/21
to electr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dacian,

(Sorry to be asking a question as I know you are bombarded with numerous enquiries everyday)

Ques 1:
In the DSSR20 Manual (v0.2) on page 3, you show the DSSR20 located near the PV panels. Do you have a recommendation on how far the DSSR20 can be from the pair of solar panels?
- Do you prefer it to be very close to the Solar panels?
- Or can it be located closer to the Main PV breaker/Shunt group (say 30'/35')?

I do know that when you interrupt a circuit with current flowing in it, the energy in the cable need somewhere to go. But, in this case, the cable AWG-10 inductance (30') should not be that much and the energy from the current of two solar panel should not be enormous either.

Ques 2:
Could you possibly share a link to the breaker used on the inverter input on page 3 of the DSSR20 Manual, please?

Thanks a bunch for the excellent work!
E4M

Dacian Todea

Feb 17, 2021, 6:30:11 PM2/17/21
to electrodacus
E4M,

1:  That is just a diagram the DSSR20 will be close to battery not close to panels as DSSR20 same as SBMS0 are not rated for outdoor use and there will be no advantage in having the DSSR20 close to PV panels.  There are specific TVS inside the DSSR20 more than capable of handling the cable inductance no matter how long those are.
2: I will soon make a post about circuit breakers more specific those that have remote trip capability but I will provide a few different example's of breakers and make some recommendation once I have all models that I ordered. Should be in about two to three weeks.

Electrons4me

Feb 19, 2021, 10:14:55 AM2/19/21
to electrodacus
Thanks Dacian, much appreciated.
  • I'll be looking for that post on the breakers.
  • If you can also add the shunts you have used and know that are good quality and have the required precision that the various SBMS need to give an accurate SoC, that would be great.
I just have such a hard time ordering from Aliexpress and not knowing if what I get will be per spec or of respectable quality.

Thanks!
E4M

Dacian Todea

Feb 19, 2021, 12:35:28 PM2/19/21
to electrodacus
E4M,

Here is the post I made about current shunts https://groups.google.com/g/electrodacus/c/ReL-z6vGFdw/m/vsmKm0grAQAJ
You should be able to calibrate any shunt with the SBMS0 as long as you have an accurate multi meter reference.