Direct DC power supplies for computers (120w, 160w, 400w, etc)

jim

Jun 18, 2024, 4:18:53 PMJun 18
to electrodacus
I know the real answer is to get one of the millions of PC which run on DC already, but I have an older self-built pc with a decent graphics card and was wanting to replace my atx psu with something smaller.

Other than a few aliexpress reviews, I can't find much info at all on these pico psus. Older ones are super tiny and plug into the 24pin atx plug, often limited to 120w or 200w, often limited to running itx motherboards.

I'm curious if anyone here has experience with some of the newer pico atx psus. Two are rated at 400w and 450w and seem to have the correct plugs at least. There is one labeled "x7-500-atx" that is a bit bigger and runs from 16v to 28v DC input, which would be perfect for 8s lifepo4 batteries. The prices jump from $30 up to $90 or more, though.

Only info I can add is this... any reviews tend to not be using a battery, but plug a big AC-DC converter into the wall outlet and powering the DC psu that way... so they are often using a 300w DC converter and then the review says they can't run a graphics card. I've read a few reviews of even the tiny 160w versions and the youtuber claims it "can handle way more than 160w" whatever that means. I typically don't deal with Chinese electronics by overrating them :)

I was hoping to make my pc a bit more portable, and this would shave off some size and weight. I see there are some pretty cool $300 solutions as well, but not looking to spend that much.

Dacian Todea (electrodacus)

Jul 17, 2024, 10:24:47 AM (6 days ago) Jul 17
to electrodacus
I do not have experience with the X7-ATX-500 but looks well build.
The input over-voltage protection seems to be 28.2V so maybe a bit at the limit and my power off your PC if directly connected to battery.
I looked at the spec and they have this note
Note 1: The maximum output power falls off linearly as input voltage increases.