inverter for electrodacus system

Mauri Meere

Dec 4, 2020, 4:54:15 PM12/4/20
to electrodacus
Hi all
Is there a preferred inverter for an 'Electrodacus' system. I am building an off-grid system for a remote cabin in Ontario for weekend use, including winter. So far I have purchased the following components

SBMS0
DSSR20 with diversion
DEXT16
24 volt 270 amp-hr  LiFePO4 battery bank, 8 cells 3.2 volts each
2 Hanwha 310 watt 60-cell modules
2 breakers
2 shunts

The only major component missing is a 3000 watt 24 volt inverter. In the winter, the cabin will only be heated when I am there, so I plan to build a battery box with a 15 watt heater to maintain the batteries above freezing. The whole system will be installed under the cabin.
Is there an inverter that suits my situation more than others?
Any advice/suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks, Mauri

    Will OBrien

    Dec 4, 2020, 5:02:50 PM12/4/20
    to electrodacus
    Several are listed in the SBMS0 manual. The victron multiplus is a very nice unit - and you can kick up a generator to use as a charge source if you get into issues during extended cloudy days since it also provides charging. That unit will require additional programming via a MK3 usb cable and laptop to work with the SBMS0 control outputs.
    Note: I literally just wired in my multiplus a couple weeks ago.

    FilterGuy

    Dec 4, 2020, 5:17:02 PM12/4/20
    to electrodacus
    First,  I don't see a generator in your list and I assume you are totally off grid.   Consequently I assume you are not looking for a Inverter-charger.    If you are looking for an inverter-charger, the Victron MultiPlus (Not multiPlus Compact) is by far the best inverter-charger I know of to work with the SBMS0 because it can be set up with separate external controls for charge enable and inverter enable.   All the other inverter-chargers I know of can be problematic to interface to the SBMS0 because they do not have separate controls.

    If you are looking for just an inverter, the options open up considerably.   The main thing for compatibility with the SBMS0 is a way for the SBMS0 to turn the inverter on and off.
    1. Best:  The Inverter has an input pin separate from it's on-off switch that can be used to turn it on or off.
    2. Workable: The inverter has a toggle switch that you can put a relay or SSR across to turn the inverter on or off.
    3. Very difficult to use: The worst thing is to get an inverter with a push-button for on-off.   It can be very difficult to interface the inverter to the SBMS0.  (People have made it work but it is a mess to do)