PDK Integration for tape-out

Amr Maghraby

May 28, 2022, 8:31:54 AM5/28/22
to Electric VLSI Editor
Hi

I am asking if ELECTRIC could integrate a full PDK in it including drc,NCC,& PEX. I mean if I have a 130nm UMC PDK can I integrate it in ELECTRIC and send my GDS files to the fab for tape-out??

Gavin

May 29, 2022, 3:41:41 PM5/29/22
to Electric VLSI Editor
It looks like the 130nm UMC PDK requires a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) [1,2].

I think you would have to contact the fab that you will use to see or not if they support Electric VLSI for their fab process and if their 130nm UMC PDK contains technology files for Electric VLSI.

There were discussions in the past about a SkyWater130 PDK [3] which is the only 130 nm process that I currently recall seeing for Electric VLSI that is available that does not have an NDA [4].  I think it is efabless [5] that might be able to fab the SkyWater130.

efabless.png

Kind Regards,
Gavin
Electric VLSI user

Alexandre Rusev

Jun 14, 2022, 2:36:32 PM6/14/22
to electr...@googlegroups.com, Joselito Morallo, Estevao Teixeira
We could do it manually. Unfortunately our guys lost the UMC PDK 180nm long times ago :( So that I can't even make them to find it.
I still saw our copy of NDA not so long ago.

I'm also interested in supporting PDK-s ... yet I mostly spend effort on
analog workflow (PiP,MiM caps, resistors, diodes)
And the PDK I interest in is old fashion ST 180nm. This PDK doesn't look like MOSIS techs very much because of crazy derived layers and use of LIL.

Manual support of PDK needs a lot of testing coded tech rules.
Comparing vs. GDS files mad ein Cadence, testing extraction/drc/physical-rules/lvs in Calibre.

It's just a work I didn't do myself yet :( At least because I have to deal with PDK which is very different from MOSIS/TSMC

Anyway, if you want to setup a new technology in Electric (the one that is NOT just a parametrized "mocmos") you need to have already set up
DRC and Extractor tools (Calibre, QFlow tool or whatver tested with the PDK).
And you also need to test your GDS in MPW.

The UMC Fab will be verifying your GDS files with Calibre tool ... so you still need to have it yourself.

Let's unite our efforts on support any reasonable PDK besides MOSIS.
Any ideas how to organize this?

Regards,
          Alexandre.