more data

Anand Chitipothu

Apr 7, 2009, 8:48:20 AM4/7/09
to electi...@googlegroups.com
Prabhakar,

Is it possible to get census data for each constituency?

Deepak/Atul,

Is there any chance that we get criminal records data from empoweringindia.org?

Thanks,
Anand

R Prabhakar

Apr 7, 2009, 9:56:27 PM4/7/09
to electi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The problem with linking census data with PC:

1. The PC boundaries do not seem to be a clean aggregation
of multiple talukas. The PC boundaries often divide talukas into two.
The census dats is available at the revenue village, and aggregated
at the taluka level and district level.

2. There are reports of PC demarcation done in 2007, and this has details
on population census.

3. If we know the talukas in a PC, we can try and aggregate the census
figures. But certain parameters like population need to be aggregated and
certain parameters like percentages will need to be averaged. We need to
take care of talukas that are divided into two PCs.

There is a value in our layer metadata that provides an
aggregation rule. But never used to date.

4. In a query we can do an intersect of the PC with the census taluka
layer and retrieve all the attributes of the census layer. No one else seem
to have this feature, but the data will be shown as a set of talukas and their
details. Maybe we can aggregate then while fetching them.

5. We have this notion of a layer set. So when you want to see details
of a constituency,  you can explicitly overlay the PC boundary with the
taluka boundary for that view frame. The taluka boundaries, with outline
with no fill color. And clicking on the taluka will be bring up the attribute
for that taluka.

6. I can look for PC - census data on the web and ask some economists
if such data is readily available.

GSLab, Chinmay, any ideas on how we can do it??

Prabhakar