Update on Coloring/Symbolgy

Chinmay Bokil

Apr 16, 2009, 9:00:56 AM4/16/09
to electi...@googlegroups.com
Hi :
        I am sucessfull in getting different constituencies colored in different color (acc to winning party) and also client can control the coloring. I have used openlayers and JSON and since json files for each state were of smaller size (in kb) we can use it.
As the code code is still in progress I cannot update it on main server but I am attaching a screenshot to a get a brief idea about the same.

Thanks.
Regards,
Chinmay.
elect.JPG

R Prabhakar

Apr 16, 2009, 10:32:08 AM4/16/09
to electi...@googlegroups.com
Dear Chinmay,

yes, this looks good.

Is the button the launch for the color chooser??

Can the button be made the same color as the color that is picked??

Are the categories being picked up from the global list or the filtered list??

Is that the legend, or is there a separate legend box from the mapserver??

Since it is the client side performance should not be an issue.

When can we deploy this??

Prabhakar

Chinmay Bokil

Apr 17, 2009, 10:31:53 AM4/17/09
to electi...@googlegroups.com
Hi :
        The first cut of the symbology coloring module has been deployed on the staging server. You can take a look at it at the url http://122.170.127.7/KMAP/kmap.html .

Steps:
1> Click on any state on India's map.
2> This will take you to the state level map.
3> Click on the symbology link shown at the top left part of the page.
4> It will display the party codes with number of seats won for that state.
5> Choose colors of your choice for individual parties.
6> choose opacity and then click on display.

First time clicking would be little bit slow as json file is downloaded but the consequent operations are relatively faster. The component is still in process of improvement to make it more generic so that it can be applied to any map.

    Please provide a feedback if you have any.

Regards,
Chinmay.
believed to be clean.

Anand Chitipothu

Apr 17, 2009, 12:05:53 PM4/17/09
to electi...@googlegroups.com
Chinmay,

That looks really wonderful.

Feedback/Feature Requests:
Can you choose some colors by default and give option to the user to
customize further if required.
Can you show a dropdown "color map by: x/y/z". Where x/y/z can be
population, voter turnout or number of criminal cases etc.
Can this be done on the India map as well?

Wikipedians have taken lot of pain to decides colors for parties when
displayed in a table. We can probably use those colors.

for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adilabad_(Lok_Sabha_constituency)

Anand

R Prabhakar

Apr 19, 2009, 10:25:59 AM4/19/09
to electi...@googlegroups.com
Dear Chinmay,

The symbology function needs to be enhanced. I have created a ticket on atree
trac for this.

Below is the details in the ticket #28:

A first cut of symbology is needed KMAP that will be used with the electionspot.in

The basic functionality for map symbology will be:

  1. For polygon layers you should be able to color by a column in the attribute table. The attribute could be continuous or categorical.
  1. For point features, you should be able to draw shape and the size should be based on a continuous variable of the attribute table.
  1. The user-interface should be to provide a drop-down list of columns in the attribute table that you would want to color by.
  1. There should be a default column and a default set of colors / shapes used
  1. There should be a legend that will should the default set of colors used.
  1. Click on the color of the legend box, should bring up the color chooser.