design for election spot

R Prabhakar

Apr 4, 2009, 5:58:07 AM4/4/09
to Anand Chitipothu, electi...@googlegroups.com, Samuel Rajkumar
Dear Anand,

I am speaking to Sam just now at Strand.

he has agreed to help out with the design of the electionspot site.

Can you please put him on the mailing list, and introduce him to the resources available??

The github and everything else.

Thanks

Prabhakar

Anand Chitipothu

Apr 4, 2009, 7:14:06 AM4/4/09
to R Prabhakar, electi...@googlegroups.com, Samuel Rajkumar
Sam,

Thanks for offering the help. I have added you to the group.

We have test server running at http://electionspot.futurelabs.in.

Some sample pages:

http://electionspot.futurelabs.in/ka
http://electionspot.futurelabs.in/ka/bangalore_north

I'm still working on adding more links between pages and we are
waiting for GS Labs team to provide the map component.

The source code of the project is at http://github.com/anandology/electionspot.

What do you think is the best way to get started with design?

Anand

Samuel Rajkumar

Apr 4, 2009, 8:17:04 AM4/4/09
to Anand Chitipothu, R Prabhakar, electi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anand,

Thanks for everything. Just got the welcome mail from the emailing list.

As a first step, I think we should get some design some structure to
present the information. We'll keep it very plain and simple so that
the emphasis is on the data itself, and so that it loads very quickly.

Should have some preliminary stuff up on Sunday.

Cheers,
Sam

R Prabhakar

Apr 4, 2009, 11:45:41 AM4/4/09
to Samuel Rajkumar, Anand Chitipothu, electi...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sam,

thanks for joining in.

There is an urgency on getting something up and running soon.

I have forwarded Sam our first design sketches and have walked him through
the site in its current form.

Looking forward to seeing some temples tomorrow.

Prabhakar

dee...@gslab.com

Apr 5, 2009, 1:42:40 AM4/5/09
to electi...@googlegroups.com, R Prabhakar, electi...@googlegroups.com, Samuel Rajkumar
Anand,

Are all these pages (by $BASE_URL/state and by
$BASE_URL/state/constituency) created manually (perhaps via script) or are
they all ready in db and just need to be exposed? What other work is still
left in your test server code?

Creating clickable map components and its URLs per constituency needs some
more time. So we are wondering what timeframe are we looking at getting
both map component and test server integrated. (and how do we sync up our
schedules)

Thanks.

Deepak

PS BTW have you added Chinmay to this mailing list?
> --
> believed to be clean.

Anand Chitipothu

Apr 5, 2009, 2:01:03 AM4/5/09
to electi...@googlegroups.com
> Are all these pages (by $BASE_URL/state and by
> $BASE_URL/state/constituency) created manually (perhaps via script) or are
> they all ready in db and just need to be exposed? What other work is still
> left in your test server code?

I have generated them using constituency names. I don't think they are
going to change now.
The work that is still remaining is mainly the home page, better
linking between pages and search functionality.

> Creating clickable map components and its URLs per constituency needs some
> more time. So we are wondering what timeframe are we looking at getting
> both map component and test server integrated. (and how do we sync up our
> schedules)

As soon as we can.

Anand

Samuel Rajkumar

Apr 5, 2009, 8:37:08 PM4/5/09
to R Prabhakar, Anand Chitipothu, electi...@googlegroups.com

> Looking forward to seeing some temples tomorrow.

And here are the temples :)

You'll find 3 html files that are the home page, the state page and
the constituency page.

This is a fluid layout that will stretch to fit the browser window.
But for sizes below 970 pixels, you'll see a scroll bar. I've used a
light and cheerful palette because I didn't want to fall in the
saffron-white-green trap.

There are just 2 images - the logo and a very small gradient that for the menu.

Cheers,
Sam

html.zip

R Prabhakar

Apr 5, 2009, 9:11:15 PM4/5/09
to Samuel Rajkumar, Anand Chitipothu, electi...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Comments on the temples of design??

Looks simple and good to me. We should have three distinct
sections on each state and constituency page.

 - Current Elections
 - Recent Elections
 - Past Elections

Prabhakar

Anand Chitipothu

Apr 6, 2009, 2:13:28 AM4/6/09
to Samuel Rajkumar, R Prabhakar, electi...@googlegroups.com
Sam,

Thanks for the design templates.

Some of comments:

* We would like to add a search box in the top header. It is possible
to move the banner to the left and add a search box in the right?

* Election results should look something like shown here:
http://electionspot.futurelabs.in/ka/bangalore_north
Can you try a table design for this?

* How about moving links bar with Home, about, ... to the top above
the search box?

* Not having a bottom border for footer makes it feel like there is
still something at the bottom. Can you look at it?

* Can we move "Home � States � Karnataka � Bangalore North" to the left?

* I felt that the green palette doesn't suit very well for election
site. It feels more like a personal website. Can you experiment with
some other color schemes? Also the link color is not going very well
with other colors.

Anand

Samuel Rajkumar

Apr 6, 2009, 2:32:44 AM4/6/09