Best Electoral System Test (BEST) by the International IDEA

Brian Langstraat

Aug 31, 2017, 12:27:39 PM8/31/17
to The Center for Election Science
The Best Electoral System Test (BEST) by the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) is a tool that grades electoral systems by a list of properties.

The IDEA website describes BEST as the following:
The Best Electoral System Test (BEST) allows those involved in the debate on electoral system design to explore the characteristics of twelve common electoral systems in an interactive way. Users can set their priorities for 16 properties on a scale and immediately see a list of best matching electoral systems.

The 12 electoral systems graded are:
Alternative Vote (AV)
Block Vote (BV)
First Past-The-Post (FPTP)
Limited Vote (LV)
List PR - closed lists
List PR - open lists
Mixed Member Proportional (MMP)
Parallel
Party Block Vote (PBV)
Single Non-Transferable Vote (SNTV)
Single Transferable Vote (STV)
Two-Round System (TRS)

 I am interest in people's thoughts on this tool.

IDEA handbook is another Topic about International IDEA.

parker friedland

Sep 1, 2017, 8:30:50 PM9/1/17
to The Center for Election Science
I asked them if they could add approval voting. Anybody reading this comment should also ask them if they can add approval voting.