Places Where One Can Leave Comments Refuting Praises of IRV

William Waugh

Oct 26, 2018, 11:55:54 AM10/26/18
to The Center for Election Science

NoIRV

Oct 26, 2018, 10:58:14 PM10/26/18
to The Center for Election Science
Refute the majority winner argument by saying that IRV only requires that the winner be preferred by a majority over ONE other candidate. Imagine a system where your ballot is like in IRV, but two candidates are picked randomly, all others are eliminated, and you find the "majority winner" among those two random candidates. I would hardly call that a "majority winner" but the only thing different in IRV is that the randomness is replaced by a sort of sensible process, but it can still feel random in elections with many candidates.

I like these simple arguments more than the typical WDS math arguments going into Condorcet winners and all that stuff. (Well, actually, I like the math arguments when I am on the receiving end, but I know that not everyone is as nerdy so simpler arguments work better in the real world.)

NoIRV

Oct 27, 2018, 8:36:52 PM10/27/18
to The Center for Election Science
I wrote a comment on the first link. Who knows what untimely end it may have faced.

Jan Kok

Oct 31, 2018, 8:52:52 PM10/31/18
to electio...@googlegroups.com
" IRV only requires that the winner be preferred by a majority over ONE other candidate."

It's not even "by a majority". In Burlington, VT (the poster child example of IRV misbehavior), Kiss was elected by less than a majority, due to exhausted ballots.