CGPGrey Videos

Brian Goldman

Jan 21, 2014, 12:01:00 PM1/21/14
to electio...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone approached CGPGrey about Approval and Score Voting?  His videos frequently come up when I'm discussing election systems, and they advocate IRV.  If we could convince him to support Approval over IRV publicly (either in a video or on his site) that would help convince a lot of people.

Rob Wilson

Jan 21, 2014, 5:40:51 PM1/21/14
to electio...@googlegroups.com
I'm think he was just explaining it and not necessarily advocating it.  He is aware of score voting though and he credited the scorevoting site for his video on the shortest split-line algorithm solution to gerrymandering. It would be nice though if he did one on approval voting or talked about the Oregon Approval Primary.

Brian Goldman

Jan 21, 2014, 5:57:42 PM1/21/14
to electio...@googlegroups.com
I'm think he was just explaining it and not necessarily advocating it.
His video on why first past the post is bad, around the 6:15 mark, suggests IRV, STV, and MMP as fixes.  People trust his videos and I think many people take these suggestions to heart.  Hence my desire to get some evidence he at least also supports Approval / Score.

Clay Shentrup

Jan 21, 2014, 11:18:48 PM1/21/14
to electio...@googlegroups.com
You could just make your own videos. He's not a particularly good video-maker. He has a mediocre speaking voice and some very rudimentary animation programs. His strength is just taking the time to make the stuff.

Rob Wilson

Jan 21, 2014, 11:59:08 PM1/21/14
to electio...@googlegroups.com
The problem with making our own videos is that we don't have over 1 million subscribers.

Frank

Jan 22, 2014, 12:04:50 AM1/22/14
to electio...@googlegroups.com
Let Me know if You need a voice over Actor. I have been told on more than one occasion how I have a face perfect for radio.

--
P.S.: I prefer to be reached on BitMessage at BM-2D8txNiU7b84d2tgqvJQdgBog6A69oDAx6

Brian Goldman

Jan 26, 2014, 5:46:20 PM1/26/14
to electio...@googlegroups.com
I would still like to contact him.  If no one objects I would like to do it as a representative of CES as I think that will carry more weight.  Also any suggestions for the best way to approach him would be greatly appreciated.

As more evidence of IRV support, here is a link one click off the home page with "Part II: The Alternative Vote."

Dale Sheldon-Hess

Jan 26, 2014, 6:06:23 PM1/26/14
to electionscience
I've poked him (gently) within the last couple years. He did not seem convinced, nor--after the UK's big vote on the subject, which the alternative vote lost--interested.

The best way to convince him would probably be a Youtube video. The one w/ Ms. Blueberry is probably below the level that would best-convince him. The one on favorite betrayal is my favorite one by CES; good length, good pace, important and easily-understood point.

Brian Goldman

Jan 26, 2014, 8:16:34 PM1/26/14
to electio...@googlegroups.com
If you have some experience, do you think it would be better for your to contact him?

Dale Sheldon-Hess

Jan 26, 2014, 9:09:10 PM1/26/14
to electionscience
If he remembers me at all, it's neutrally at best. Like I said, he didn't seem impressed.

Also, rather than "if no one objects" I'd suggest "if the board affirmatively approves," if you plan to claim being a CES representative. If we want to be taken as a serious formal organization, we'll have to act with some formality. By all means, point him toward CES, but do not claim to represent it.

--
Dale

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Brian Goldman <gold...@msu.edu> wrote:
If you have some experience, do you think it would be better for your to contact him?

Brian Goldman

Jan 26, 2014, 9:42:47 PM1/26/14
to electio...@googlegroups.com
Honestly I'd prefer if someone more official (and more persuasive) than me would take up the torch, but there didn't seem to be much interest.  I'm fine only acting as a representative under board approval.  Is there some process to get that to happen?  I'm also fine just being a random guy on the internet who messages him, I just don't think it will be as effective.

Aaron Hamlin

Jan 27, 2014, 1:04:08 AM1/27/14
to electio...@googlegroups.com, gold...@msu.edu
Hi Brian. Acting on behalf of the CES is a big blunder. Think of if you're a member of the ACLU (we're not even a membership organization, by the way) and you were to contact another organization on behalf of the ACLU. You'd have no right to do so and it would likely have negative repercussions. We're a very real and formal 501(c)3 organization, so please avoid such issues. A null ("if no one objects") of it being okay is definitely not the correct answer here.

That aside, I've spoken with CGP Grey before through e-mail. There wasn't a whole lot of response. I haven't forwarded him the video on favorite betrayal though, so I can do that.

While I intend my response to be serious here, I hope it didn't sound too confrontational. Your participation on the forum is valued and I encourage you to continue. Thanks, Brian!

-Aaron

Brian Goldman

Jan 27, 2014, 7:35:43 AM1/27/14
to electio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian. Acting on behalf of the CES is a big blunder.
Understood.  I'd like to apologize for the misleading and inappropriate "if no one objects." Dale's response was exactly what I was looking for: someone to tell me where the boundaries were. Thank you for forwarding him the video on favorite betrayal.

I'm looking for ways to do more than just read emails, but I don't have an enormous amount of time to commit.  I try to convince people that reform is important and that Approval can help, but I know my say doesn't hold much sway without credentials.

Sorry for overstepping,
Brian