Fwd: Election Security - The Best Kept Secret in H.R. 1

Lulu Friesdat

Mar 6, 2021, 1:14:24 PM3/6/21
to electionintegrity, Election Integrity

Election Security - H.R. 1's Best Kept Secret
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
Connect with us at SMARTelections.us

Sweeping Reform Bill Passes the House

Join Us To Explore How H.R. 1 Can Help Us Achieve Racial Equity In Our Elections

H.R. 1 Passes the House, Moves Onto the Senate

In a historic vote, Wednesday, the U.S. House of Representatives passed the For the People Act. H.R. 1 is a sweeping attempt to increase transparency, reduce the impact of big money in politics, protect voting rights and improve the security of our elections. All Democrats voted for it but one. It had no Republican votes. The full text of the almost 800 page bill is here.

"Beyond the big ticket items that have received the most attention, less well-known parts of the bill have the ability to vastly improve our election security, especially if they are slightly improved." says Lulu Friesdat, Executive Director of SMART Elections. She adds, "It's critically important to remember that what brought on the January 6th insurrection was the belief that the results were wrong. For that reason, it is as important that voters and candidates have confidence in our election results - as it is that the results be accurate. Some key provisions in H.R. 1 / S.1 can help accomplish that."

SMART Elections full press release is below. We fully support the bill. We have made recommendations to strengthen it.

We invite your group to sign onto our recommendations. It could help them be adopted. We have already begun meeting with Senators.

Inclusion and equal access to power are major issues addressed by H.R.1 (For the People Act). And they are concerns that SMART Elections cares deeply about.

Join us for our #ElectionProtection Forum

We'll examine how racial inequity in our elections

can be addressed by H.R. 1 / S. 1

& ask is the bill is fair to 3rd Party Candidates?

Tuesday March 9th 7pm EST

On YouTube & Facebook

Our guests will be

Demos Senior Policy Analyst

Shruti Banerjee.

Harvard Professor

Alex Keyssar

Shruti Banerjee focuses on addressing policies that restrict the ability of individuals to engage in the democratic process.

Prior to joining Demos, Shruti served as a Policy Analyst in the NYC Mayor's Office under the DeBlasio Administration; she worked to build new programs and promote progressive causes through litigation. Before working in the Mayor's office, she advocated for low income communities in NYC. Shruti holds a law degree from Fordham Law School. She is admitted to the New York Bar.

Harvard Professor Alex Keyssar is the Pulitzer Prize nominated author of "The Right to Vote" and "Why Do We Still Have the Electoral College?" Dr. Keyssar has long explored issues of fairness in U.S. Elections. He joins us to discuss what third party candidates have contributed historically and if they continue to be a vital part of modern elections. He'll weigh in on concern that H.R. 1 / S. 1 could deliver a serious blow to some 3rd parties by raising the amount needed to receive matching funds.

Plus...

We continue looking at the election security provisions in HR1 / S1

Does the bill need to be improved?

Can it be changed and how?

Can it pass - and how?

#ElectionProtection forums are 7pm EST every other Tues.

Put it in your calendar so you catch it every time.

(Next forum after this is on 3/23/21 at 7pm EST)

Find out why thousands of viewers are watching!

Here are a few comments from our last forum:

  • "Thank-you so much for this conversation."
  • "...an excellent job covering election security in a nonpartisan way."
  • "Very good podcast - you covered a lot of ground - thanks! "

Sign Up Now

Please Support Us

Please Make a Tax-Deductible Donation Today
Our Work is Unique, Relevant & Necessary

Our goal is to create a comprehensive, education, oversight and auditing operation for U.S. Elections. Including:

  • a successful #ElectionProtection forum educating thousands of voters about the nitty-gritty of elections, especially their security.
  • an auditing and oversight program that has already done work in 14 states &
  • tools to help local advocates work toward better election security statutes

We're well on our way!

But we need your support to continue.

If you want better elections, please step up and give as much as you can today.

Thank you so much to those you have oontributed already! Together we can have accessible fair and secure elections!

Please Make a Tax-Deductible Donation Today!

Election Security: Best Kept Secret of H.R. 1

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT: Lulu Friesdat, Executive Director

Lu...@SMARTelections.us

PRESS RELEASE

H.R. 1 Passes the House - A Big Step Forward for Election Security

Areas of interest: Election Security, Voting Technology, Disability Rights

New York City - March 4, 2021 -- Yesterday, the United State House of Representatives passed The For the People Act, (H.R. 1). The bill is a visionary, once-in-a-generation effort to improve the functionality, fairness, and security of U.S. elections. It will address multiple, systemic, ongoing problems in our elections. We fully support its passage. It will now move on to the U.S. Senate for consderation.

"Beyond the big ticket items that have received the most attention, less well-known parts of the bill have the ability to vastly improve our election security, especially if they are slightly improved." says Lulu Friesdat, Executive Director of SMART Elections. She adds, "It's critically important to remember that what brought on the January 6th insurrection was the belief that the results were wrong. For that reason, it is as important that voters and candidates have confidence in our election results - as it is that the results be accurate. Some key provisions in H.R. 1 can help accomplish that."

The focus of the bill has been primarily on its important reforms to protect voting rights, end gerrymandering, get dark money out of politics, and increase transparency and accountability in our government.

But here are some provisions that are notable and necessary to improve election security.

  • Durable Hand-Marked Paper Ballots Must Be Available - H.R. 1 requires that all voters have the option to mark their ballot by hand. This simple, non-technical provision, is the action that security experts recommend, more than any other, to help ensure our elections are secure and accurate. Having a durable paper record of the vote helps guarantee that we can verify that all votes are counted accurately, even if voting machines are hacked, or fail to count correctly. (This provision could be improved by making sure that hand-marked paper ballots are available at all in-person voting locations, so that the requirement cannot be side-stepped by offering a paper ballot through the mail.)

  • Resources for States to Improve Security - H.R. 1 offers states resources to purchase voting systems that comply with its rules. Many states are cash-strapped, especially now, during the pandemic. H.R. 1 makes grants available to states, as long as they buy systems that meet the requirements in the bill.

  • Risk-Limiting Audits - H.R. 1 takes steps to encourage states to conduct robust audits to ensure that vote counts are correct. (These requirements could also be strengthened).

Expansions in the rights of voters with disabilities.

  • Accessibility requirements - H.R. 1 includes a requirement that voters who need to be able to vote without touching the ballot can do so privately and independently.

SMART Elections has prepared a position paper on how these provisions can be strengthened even further. We believe that some of the suggested changes are urgent.

As a non-partisan project SMART Elections understands that there are painful battles being fought right now on the rules that govern our elections. A quote from Abolitionist Minister Theodore Parker may help us through. "I do not pretend to understand the moral universe. The arc is a long one. My eye reaches but little ways ... And from what I see I am sure it bends toward justice." (Later summarized eloquently by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.).

We applaud every step forward in our long journey toward inclusion and fairness in our democracy. This is a big one.

About SMART Elections

SMART Elections is a nonpartisan project dedicated to elevating the issue of election reform to an urgent national priority. We are collaborating to make U.S. elections more secure, accessible, accurate, and fair. To learn more, visit https://smartelections.us.

What Will Happen Next with H.R. 1 / S. 1?
What Will Happen Next with H.R. 1 / S. 1?

Here is what we've heard so far.

The Senate will need every single Democrat, because they are unlikely to get any Republican votes.

How will it get out of committee?

At a meeting this week we were told "under the senate organizing resolution, tied committee votes mean that a measure/ nomination passes." So it will most likely move onto the floor.

The Democrates have 2 main obstacles for passage in their own caucus.

  • Senator Joe Manchin
  • Senator Kyrsten Sinema

They also have the problem of the filibuster.

What we have heard is that they will likely try to make a limited type of adjustment to the filibuster, along the lines that it does not apply to rules about the democratic process. Here is an article about how the Senate often has changed the rules about filibusters.

What to Read?

There have been many enlightening articles and Op-Eds on H.R. 1, including this excellent one by Scott Spaulding of Common Cause about some of the lesser known, but excellent provisions in the bill.

What are the critics saying?

Third Party criticism can be found in Howie Hawkins' article for CounterPunch.

If you're interested in conservative critiques of the bill, you can find a good list at the Public Interest Legal Foundation.

SMART Elections has had 2 forums on the bill so far:

Our fourm highlighting the many positive aspects of the bill

Our forum exploring some criticisms of the bill

We are having another forum on H.R. 1 / S 1. next Tuesday to discuss how the bill is designed to bring much needed racial equity to our elections, and exploring whether it's fair to 3rd partiy candidates.

Tuesday March 9th at 7pm EST.

Be sure to sign up for it.

REGISTER TO ATTEND TODAY!
  Facebook   Twitter   Web   Instagram   Youtube

This email is being sent to shuga...@gmail.com.

Unsubscribe or update your address.

This message was sent by SMART Elections.
SMART Elections | New York City | New York, NY 10001

--

Kind Regards,

Lulu

@LuluFriesdat

Executive Director, SMART Elections

Elevating election reform to an urgent national priority