progressive taxation is bad

Clay S

Jan 21, 2024, 9:23:05 PMJan 21
to election by jury
well, you want a progressive effective rate, but that can be accomplished with a flat marginal rate plus a ubi.

Rajiv Prabhakar

Jan 22, 2024, 6:43:49 PMJan 22
to election by jury
I endorse a UBI. But why do you say "progressive taxation is bad"? Under a UBI + flat-tax system, a surgeon making 500k/year pays almost the same tax rate as someone making billions each year. A UBI + progressive-tax system will prevent this. I don't see why this is bad.

My own views on taxation are even more nuanced. I believe that the tax system should be designed to encourage desired (good for society) behaviors, and discourage undesired behaviors. Hence a better tax system would feature:
  • No tax on income or investments
  • Tax on consumption
  • Progressive tax-brackets based on an individual's total consumption
This is essentially driven by my economic belief that society prospers when its resources are maximally directed towards investments, and minimally directed towards consumption. (https://outlookzen.com/2020/06/19/the-growth-of-economies/)

Regards,
Rajiv