city commission member selection committee

Clay S

Jan 18, 2024, 1:48:21 AMJan 18
to election by jury

2. The Director shall appoint a committee that shall recommend to the Director the appropriate number of nominees to fill impending vacancies.  The selection committee shall consist of three CRC representatives, either past or not applying for reappointment, two members of the community, and the IPR Deputy Director.  Three of the selection committee members, including one CRC representative and the IPR Deputy Director, shall serve as the interview panel.
3. Selection criteria shall include a record of community involvement, passing a criminal background check performed by an agency other than the Bureau, and absence of any real or perceived conflict of interest.  The selection committee will nominate individuals who are neutral, unbiased, and capable of making objective decisions. The Mayor and Commissioners may each submit an applicant meeting these qualifications.
4. The Director shall recommend nominees to Council for appointment.

okay, now imagine we could pass a reform that the selection committee should have 12 randomly selected citizen jurors on it. it's a partial/hybrid election-by-jury.

seems a good type of incremental reform. if we can have a few jury members on the selection committee, we can gradually work to increase the percentage of them who are jurors over appointees. maybe we could even make it so that certain specific commissions are completely jury-selected. and if we can do this for selecting members to commissions, then there's a gradual path to doing it for city council itself. but even doing it for city commissions would be very impactful.