Books that influenced me

Paul Melman

Jul 19, 2024, 1:28:13 PM (8 days ago) Jul 19
to election by jury
Thought I'd share some of the ideas that influenced my thinking on the subject of political systems and incentives.

Theory:
The Dictator's Handbook by Bruce Bueno de Mesquita and Alastair Smith
Seeing Like a State by James C. Scott
Meditations on Moloch by Scott Alexander - not a book

Praxis:
The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements by Eric Hoffer - great read, short book about the history of mass movements
Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition by Okrent, Daniel - a history of the prohibition movement with lots of info about how they did activism and lobbying
Being Heumann: An Unrepentant Memoir of a Disability Rights Activist by Judy Heumann - just read this recently for a book club, an interesting perspective on the disability rights movement. An interesting contrast from the prohibition movement.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, just some of the first ones that came to mind.

Clay S

Jul 20, 2024, 2:37:54 PM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to election by jury
for me:

gaming the vote (i'm in it tho, LOL)
the selfish gene
how minds change
what's our problem (by tim urban)

i should read seeing like a state because everyone mentions it all the time. the others i'll see if i can find in audiobook format on spotify. thanks.

and welcome to the team!

clay