Does anyone know whether yesterday's jury contained Trump voters?

Rajiv Prabhakar

May 31, 2024, 2:18:27 PMMay 31
to election by jury
Big news with the jury ruling yesterday! To me it's a great validation of the entire premise between EBJ. Twelve randomly selected individuals were able to look past their different ideological beliefs and echo chambers, rigorously evaluated the evidence presented by both sides, and reached a consensus ruling. I can't imagine any mass-referendum working as effectively as this jury trial.

I've heard on social media that a few of the jurors had voted for Trump in 2020, but chose to convict him anyway after reviewing the evidence. Unfortunately I haven't been able to confirm this on any credible news source. Does anyone know of any credible source that verifies this?

Regards,
Rajiv

Clay S

Jun 1, 2024, 3:59:24 PMJun 1
to election by jury

All but three indicated during jury selection they had a college education, and they come from a wide array of professional backgrounds, according to multiple reports—including two lawyers, two educators, a software engineer, a security engineer, a physical therapist, a salesman, an investment banker, a businessman, a product manager and a retired wealth manager.

A majority are not native New Yorkers, with nine indicating they lived somewhere else before coming to New York, and two previously lived outside the U.S.—the jury foreman lived in Ireland while another juror lived in Lebanon.

At least five indicated they don’t follow the news closely: One juror who works as a teacher, for instance, indicated her colleagues had strong opinions on Trump, but she appreciated his candor, didn’t have a strong opinion either way, tried to stay out of politics and doesn’t like the news, according to press reports from jury selection.

While all the jurors insisted they believed they could be impartial, two expressed more significant disagreements with the former president—one juror acknowledged she did not agree with “a lot of his politics and his decisions as a president” but believed she could be a “totally impartial juror,” while another said she didn’t like Trump’s persona, but believed it didn’t impede her from being impartial.

When asked about their opinions on Trump, the remaining jurors all indicated they either had no strong opinions, or were ambivalent—agreeing with some things but disagreeing with others.

Where Do The Jurors Get Their News?

The New York Times was the most frequently mentioned source of news among the jurors, according to pool reports, among frequently cited mainstream outlets like the Wall Street Journal. Social media was also frequently cited. One juror who works as an investment banker indicated he kept up to date with a variety of sources, frequently seeing Trump’s Truth Social posts via X, while also following former Trump attorney Michael Cohen—a witness against Trump in the hush money case—and longtime Trump ally Kellyanne Conway.
Crucial Quote

"I don't like some of my co-workers,” said one juror about her feelings on Trump, according to pool reports. “But I can hear him out and understand his point of view and understand his issues."
Surprising Fact

Two of the jurors are attorneys: one a civil litigator and the other a corporate lawyer. Legal experts have noted it’s unusual for one lawyer, let alone two, to be seated on a jury, according to Politico. Former Trump attorney Timothy Parlatore told CNN lawyers can sometimes become very strong voices on the jury because of their background and knowledge—but they might also help a jury cut through difficult technical language.