SCORM 2004 edition backwards-compatibility - in the real world!

MOLOKO

Dec 7, 2022, 10:53:12 AM12/7/22
to eLearning Technology and Development
So, from the several references in the SCORM 2004 4th Edition RTE documents to 'For backward compatibility with SCORM 2004 3rd Edition' I'm guessing that, according to the standards, I should be able to use SCORM 2004 3rd Edition on any LMS that supports 4th Edition.

However... does anyone have any real-world experience with this? Specifically any instances where this has not worked?

The reason I ask is that I'm a developer for an e-learning authoring tool which currently only supports publishing to either SCORM 1.2 or SCORM 2004 4th Edition.

We've had a few requests from customers to add support for SCORM 2004 3rd Edition - but since we're not actually including any functionality specific to 4th Edition I'm wondering if it would be simpler for us and for our customers to just switch to 3rd Edition... but obviously I'm slightly concerned that customers' existing content might stop working on some of the - let's say - less well-implemented LMSs ;-)

Philip Hutchison

Dec 7, 2022, 8:49:09 PM12/7/22
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
My focus would be on SCORM 1.2 and SCORM 2004 3rd edition. 4th edition was not widely implemented; to my knowledge, 3rd edition was the most widely implemented version of SCORM 2004. When 4th edition came out, it felt like there was a collective shrug from LMS vendors... 3rd edition was good enough, and frankly, 3rd edition was not fully supported in many systems, anyway! I have no data to back this up, just going off of dusty recollections...