Can anyone suggest a good lightweight and free SCORM LMS to try (if not use unconditionally)

BCmoney

Aug 4, 2010, 7:47:01 PM8/4/10
to eLearning Technology and Development
Sorry for the newbie question...

But I'm definitely interested in LOM and SCORM, and have an idea of
building my own lightweight LMS focused on the Healthcare industry
(using healthcareLOM, HL7 simulated patient data, UMLS for terminology/
taxonomy).

I'd like to make use of SCORM Wrapper but make it all client-side
HTML5 (Web storage, etc...worst case a lightweight JSON store such as
CouchDB or the like) and AJAX like the wrapper, so that there is
little to no server-side requirements, as I noticed after downloading
SCORM Wrapper that I need to another big piece of the puzzle to really
start to play in the e-Learning space, and that's a SCORM compliant
server or RTE. Makes sense though, you need to run an API to wrap it,
duh!

Could someone suggest the easiest to setup and/or most freely
available source-wise SCORM server/runtime environment? So far the
only ones I thought of were:
-Moodle
-Joomla LMS

Also, is there any documentation on how to get a specific LMS running
with SCORM API Wrapper or will it work out of the box with just about
any? Maybe I'm missing something, but from the documentation available
here: http://pipwerks.com/laboratory/scorm/api-wrapper-javascript/ it
doesn't tell me how to co-locate the files within an LMS, or, point to
that LMS' API in order to complete the wrapping process...

Being able to run the whole thing would really help my experimentation
when working on a thin-client storage solution.

Thx

Philip Hutchison

Aug 4, 2010, 8:01:41 PM8/4/10
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
The SCORM wrapper is designed for content, not being used on a server. From a server-side perspective (as opposed to a content development perspective), SCORM involves much more than just the wrapper; true SCORM conformance includes sequencing and navigation, parsing ZIP and XML files, and more. It's a fairly big task once you get past the easy RTE stuff.

If you're looking to build your own SCORM run-time, I suggest looking at the code in open-source LMS projects (moodle, sakai, ilias, olat, etc.).

Claude Ostyn (who passed away a few years ago) wrote a small JavaScript RTE that can be used for testing. You can try and build something from that, too. http://ostyn.com/standards/scorm/samples/scorm2004testwrapwrap.htm

BTW, if you're not going to send the data to a server, what's the point of using SCORM? Why not just build vanilla websites with educational content? SCORM's primary purpose is to help collect data that can be used for reporting purposes. If your data winds up client-side, how do you plan to report on it?

scorm.com has a new service called the SCORM Cloud that allows you to launch (and report on) SCORM-based content without an LMS. It isn't free, but might be of interest.

Just curious.

- philip

BCmoney

Aug 5, 2010, 12:52:32 PM8/5/10
to eLearning Technology and Development
Hi Philip,

Thanks for the response... I didn't mean to sound like I want to avoid
sending data to a server, I think the supposed benefit of going to the
trouble to markup course content and follow the SCORM standard is
really the "S" or sharable, which implies interoperability with a
large number of servers and LMS options (among other benefits like
better, more semantically precise reporting and course structures).

I meant to emphasize that I was thinking it would be useful to have a
really lightweight RTE option, something like what Claude has built in
that JavaScript RTE demo (thanks for the link BTW, somehow missed that
one) plus the added benefit of HTML5''s new persistence mechanism as
it develops, or something simple and more NoSQL-like as a fallback
until that is stable... it wouldn't be a vanilla website, but more
like a simple recipe to drop in some data and have your own vanilla
LMS, which can connect to something more heavy-duty like SCORM Cloud
via an AJAX version of its API for example.

We can still generate reports from data stored on the client, but
since we're limited to 5mb (or less in most cases), we'd probably only
store the most recently accessed course or two at any given time, and
relegate long-term storage and processing to the SCORM cloud or your
locally/remotely installed LMS via its API.

My question was really, if I was to choose one LMS to do this with as
an example case, which one would be most applicable or accessible to
that kind of a configuration?

Thanks,

Bryan

P.S. Also just discovered Claude's work recently, everything on his
site is very useful for what I'm trying to do (including merging LOM
into a single simple XSD), and seems his brilliant, dedicated e-
Learning pioneer title has been well-earned

On Aug 4, 9:01 pm, Philip Hutchison <platelu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The SCORM wrapper is designed for content, not being used on a server. From
> a server-side perspective (as opposed to a content development perspective),
> SCORM involves much more than just the wrapper; true SCORM conformance
> includes sequencing and navigation, parsing ZIP and XML files, and more.
> It's a fairly big task once you get past the easy RTE stuff.
>
> If you're looking to build your own SCORM run-time, I suggest looking at the
> code in open-source LMS projects (moodle, sakai, ilias, olat, etc.).
>
> Claude Ostyn (who passed away a few years ago) wrote a small JavaScript RTE
> that can be used for testing. You can try and build something from that,
> too.http://ostyn.com/standards/scorm/samples/scorm2004testwrapwrap.htm
>
> BTW, if you're not going to send the data to a server, what's the point of
> using SCORM? Why not just build vanilla websites with educational content?
> SCORM's primary purpose is to help collect data that can be used for
> reporting purposes. If your data winds up client-side, how do you plan to
> report on it?
>
> scorm.com has a new service called the SCORM Cloud that allows you to launch
> (and report on) SCORM-based content without an LMS. It isn't free, but might
> be of interest.
>
> Just curious.
>
> - philip
>
> > elearning-technology-and...@googlegroups.com<elearning-technology-and-development%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/elearning-technology-and-development?h....

Philip Hutchison

Aug 5, 2010, 1:04:37 PM8/5/10
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
I see. Interesting approach.

Barry Sampson wrote a nice short list of open-source LMSs. Might be a good starting point.

What version of SCORM are you trying to support? Many open-source LMSs support SCORM 1.2 (some better than others), but very few have robust SCORM 2004 support. Maybe Sakai?

Another thing to consider is technology used. For example, Sakai is Java-based and requires Tomcat, while many of the other systems are PHP-based.

- philip

Steve Addison

Aug 5, 2010, 1:57:06 PM8/5/10
to eLearning Technology and Development
I've been working on a simple SCORM 1.2 RTE and documenting my
progress at http://www.vsscorm.net. The project is still incomplete,
but I know that a few people have used the code successfully in live
systems, so it might be starting point for you. PHP-based and open
source.

Regards,

Steve

On Aug 5, 10:04 am, Philip Hutchison <platelu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see. Interesting approach.
>
> Barry Sampson wrote a nice short list of open-source
> LMSs<http://barrysampson.com/2009/04/open-source-lms-10-alternatives-to-mo...>.
> Might be a good starting point.
>
> What version of SCORM are you trying to support? Many open-source LMSs
> support SCORM 1.2 (some better than others), but very few have robust SCORM
> 2004 support. Maybe
> Sakai<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/SCORMPLAYER/SCORM+in+Sakai>
> ?
> > <elearning-technology-and-development%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<elearn­ing-technology-and-development%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

> > ..

BCmoney

Aug 6, 2010, 11:42:03 AM8/6/10
to eLearning Technology and Development
I think it would make sense to go for supporting both despite the
extra effort..
Also, is it true that a new SCORM standard (or update) is coming in
November? I can't remember where I heard that, but I know at least one
group that's working on a Web Service-focused modernization of the
SCORM API:
http://wiki.letsi.org/display/Arch/Runtime+Web+Services+Working+Group

Steve, thanks... will check that out, any plans to support SCORM 2004?
It must be a really big undertaking because of the new feature set,
but somehow Claude's example says it uses 2004... probably a small
subset of the required functionality of a full SCORM 2004 compliant
RTE.

Last noob question from me for this thread hopefully... is there a
good document anywhere that explains the difference between the two
standards?

On Aug 5, 2:57 pm, Steve Addison <st...@capeesh.net> wrote:
> I've been working on a simple SCORM 1.2 RTE and documenting my
> progress athttp://www.vsscorm.net. The project is still incomplete,
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/elearning-technology-and-development?h...Hide quoted text -

BCmoney

Aug 6, 2010, 11:44:59 AM8/6/10
to eLearning Technology and Development
After sending, just found one good source at scorm.com:
http://www.scorm.com/scorm-explained/business-of-scorm/scorm-versions/
I see that the spec is now in the 1000's of pages though, I don't
suppose there is any kind of cheat sheet or side-by-side view of the
most important features/differences...

These are a good start, any more info would be appreciated:
SCORM 2004 Overview for Developers:
http://www.scorm.com/scorm-explained/technical-scorm/scorm-2004-overview-for-developers/
SCORM 1.2 Overview for Developers:
http://www.scorm.com/scorm-explained/technical-scorm/scorm-12-overview-for-developers/

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

On Aug 5, 2:57 pm, Steve Addison <st...@capeesh.net> wrote:
> I've been working on a simple SCORM 1.2 RTE and documenting my
> progress athttp://www.vsscorm.net. The project is still incomplete,
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/elearning-technology-and-development?h...Hide quoted text -

Philip Hutchison

Aug 6, 2010, 12:47:42 PM8/6/10
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
LETSI is an independent organization. They're currently developing a Run-Time Web Service version of SCORM, but it's not an official ADL/SCORM project, and probably won't be commonly supported in LMSs for quite some time.

If you're building your own SCORM support, start with SCORM 1.2.  SCORM 2004 builds on SCORM 1.2; by the time you finish your SCORM 1.2 environment, SCORM 2004 will make a lot more sense. Plus SCORM 1.2 is simpler. :)

- philip

Choopong Choosamer

Aug 7, 2010, 12:04:02 AM8/7/10
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
You can install Moodle on Windows within 10 minutes.

I never used Wrapper but Reload does the same thing.

Cheers,

robert peter

Sep 29, 2011, 2:16:18 AM9/29/11
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

   You can try with AJ LMS which is the best free Learning Management System.

Cor

Sep 30, 2011, 2:46:54 AM9/30/11
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com

Moodle