Pipwerks/SCORM/JavaScript question: Easiest/best way to maintain connection OR reconnect to API upon changing URL in a SCORM package?

Jonathan Sloan

May 14, 2019, 7:08:47 PM5/14/19
to eLearning Technology and Development
I have successfully used Pipwerks SCORM in html packages to create simple elearning materials on one html file (More or less just a javascript slider that functions similar to powerpoint slides). Lately I've been trying to create courses using multiple html pages, but I can't seem to stay connected to the API when the url changes. Has anyone dealt with this, or would anyone have an idea on how to approach such? I am not allowed to use frameworks sadly, so this is more complicated than it probably needs to be. Thank you in advance.

Philip Hutchison

May 14, 2019, 7:12:18 PM5/14/19
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan

The most common technique is a frame. Have the API in the parent frame, and load your content into child frames (nowadays it's usually an iframe). The child frame then communicates with the parent frame as needed, and when the content page is unloaded from the child frame, the parent frame's API connection remains active.

The child frame can be styled to fill the entire window, so from a user's perspective they would never notice they're in a frame.

Good luck
- philip