Page Naming

1 view

Justin Wood (Callek)

Mar 26, 2007, 10:38:14 PM3/26/07
to Elanthipedia Contributors
While it may not seem like a big deal right now.

Do we want to go with Sentence Caps, or Title Caps. See for example
the mini-discussion at:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Talk:Healing_herbs#Page_rename

~Justin Wood (Callek)

Naeya

Mar 27, 2007, 10:13:50 AM3/27/07
to Elanthipedia Contributors
Thinking on this, let me talk through my thoughts on this. Names of
NPCs, PCs, etc, should definitely all be caps, as well as
organizations, guilds, various other things that are normally
capitalized. However, and Grindinghalt's probably going to groan at
this since he just finished the overhaul of the bestiary, I think
things like creature names should not be capitalized. Exceptions
would be made for some of the names (Adan'f blood warrior comes to
mind, Adan'f being capitalized - which doesn't matter because the
first word is capitalized automatically anyway).

It gets convoluted from here because I also think articles such as
Elanthian Time (http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Elanthian_Time)
should be capitalized because of the reason I mentioned in the
discussion on the herb page. I see it as the title of an article or
paper written on the time.

I'm no English major, so need some more imput on these issues. What
is your opinion, Callek? Grindinghalt?

grindinghalt

Mar 27, 2007, 2:03:42 PM3/27/07
to Elanthipedia Contributors
I tried to look at wikipedia's conventions for guidance, but it seems
arbitrary (or at least inconsistent):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Naming_conventions_%28fauna%29#Capitalization_of_common_names_of_species

Birds are always capitalized, mammals mostly, fish rarely...geez.
Never mind our unique categories like undead and fey.

I don't necessarily have a problem going back and moving the pages or
creating redirects - that's simple enough. We'd likely need to do that
anyway if we follow the convention of creating redirects based on the
alternately capitalized titles (for example, creating a redirect from
Blood Wolf to blood wolf, or a redirect from blood wolf to Blood
Wolf).

In general my preference is for title caps.

grindinghalt

Mar 27, 2007, 2:12:52 PM3/27/07
to Elanthipedia Contributors
Urg, did this thing eat my post? Guess you get the short version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Naming_conventions_%28fauna%29#Capitalization_of_common_names_of_species

As you can see the naming conventions for animals is inconsistent at
best. Never mind our uniques like undead and fey.

I don't really mind moving the pages, but we'll likely have to create
redirects in any case to follow convention (for example, redirect from
blood wolf to Blood Wolf, or from Blood Wolf to blood wolf).

My preference is for title caps.

Justin Wood (Callek)

Mar 27, 2007, 7:04:14 PM3/27/07
to grindinghalt, Elanthipedia Contributors
My overall preference is for Title Caps, while Articles really, should
be "sentence caps" imho.

Compare for example a page describing "Healing Reagents" with an
article about "How to use healing reagents"

I'd be *all* for the Title Caps of creature names.

What I guess has something to do with this, is NPC/People names.

My suggestion on those is *first names* only, with redirects from
First + Last names.

This especially due to current LN mechanics... and even more so with
regards to people (and NPCs) without a last-name, and/or people who
get married/adopted.

Rather than have multiple moves happen as things go on, lets just go
with the "first name" on that.

I also think that once we make a "stand" on this as a community, we
simply detail it in the wiki under policies or some such, and then
enforce it for all new pages, and "casually" work all old pages into
the policy. So an emmediate update isn't necessary.

~Justin Wood (Callek)