Secrets on the Wiki -- What is?

Justin Wood (Callek)

Apr 25, 2007, 10:57:25 PM4/25/07
to Elanthipedia Contributors
What is a Secret in DragonRealms? Is it something your character
shouldn't know, such as a first circle trader knowing about thief
'cookies'? or is it Something you can't post on the boards, such as
the solution to the WM Pathway Quest #1? Or is it the value's or the
question-marks on the titles pages on the play.net website?

My contention is it is that ALL of the above are secrets.

So, the dilemma then becomes, what should be blanketed with the
secrets policy, and what should be allowed 'out in the open' as if it
was any other portion of DR information.

This question, admittedly has given me the most grief in drafting
these posts that before I make any call on it, I'll allow some healthy
debate on this subject.

So, debate away!
~Justin Wood (Callek)

Hanryu

Apr 26, 2007, 8:31:40 AM4/26/07
to Elanthipedia Contributors
Mechanics should never be a secret. Quite clearly certain quests
require you to play the "guess the syntax" game. As someone who was a
brand new to online games as well as text games when I started playing
DR, NOTHING can be more frustrating to a novice player. It's even
frustrating to the long time player. Those folks that like syntax
games, don't have to come here to find the syntax.

The fact that character XXX is played by person YYY who also plays
character ZZZ should be secret. If YYY wants to tell folks this, they
can find another forum to do so.

The fact that character XXX was sold 3 times in the last year!!!!, yea
we don't need that either.

If head of Secret Evil Organizations Inc wants to post a member list
under a "groups of elanthia topic", I might be ok with that, if and
only if all members ok the posting. But I think this is a slippery
slope and should probably be avoided.

In conclusion, there are lots of Secrets in the game of DR, and far to
many of them are mechanics/syntax related. We should seek to expose
these secrets and spread that knowledge. RP secrets and personal
secrets should not be archived at the DR Wiki.

--
Hanryu

Naeya

Apr 26, 2007, 8:58:26 AM4/26/07
to Elanthipedia Contributors
I think Hanryu hit it pretty much right on the head.

Quest walkthroughs, forging mixes, shop inventories (trader and other
guild only shops alike), abilities, guild locations, all of these are
really only involving mechanics of the game. I believe that these are
what's considered "secrets." It's something that either you perhaps
"should" figure out yourself for your own guild purposes, but need a
hint because you are going on the 6th hour of a quest (::cough:: shift
quest ::cough::).

To answer your example questions, Callek, I'd say something you
shouldn't know because you don't have that character is a secret yes.
As we have no way to prevent people who aren't a thief (to use your
example) from viewing any thief secrets that are posted, we'll treat
all such guild abilities the same across the board. Each guild (as
far as I know) has some type of secret, be it an ability or quest.

However, the unknown title requirements, that not even Simu has
published, I don't really consider a secret, as far as including in
whatever secret policy, templates, etc that we decide upon. If/when
someone discovers these and has the desire to fill in the blanks, they
should be filled in in the same way as all the other title
requirements. I see these as the same as skill caps for creatures,
origami calculators, or foraging requirements for certain forageables.
They're merely hard data.

~Naeya

Navak

Apr 27, 2007, 12:14:40 AM4/27/07
to Elanthipedia Contributors
I don't believe what a thief khri is, the number, or what it does
should be a secret. The hows of how to gain an ability are the things
that I believe should be a secret not what those abilities do.

Things like pre-reqs to gain an ability, where to gain it, from whom
you gain it are all things that would fall under secrets.

How to use it, literally how to activate it, its name, etc... would
not be things that I would view as a secret.

I believe if you take the route of making names and descriptions of
abilities a secret you will lose more to confusion than is gained by
having item X be a secret.

At the most I can see the above being hints.

I am --- Navak

rsylv...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2007, 3:27:33 AM4/27/07
to Elanthipedia Contributors
> The fact that character XXX was sold 3 times in the last year!!!!, yea
> we don't need that either.

I actually brought up a question concerning this some time ago, a few
days after the wiki was put up on Rawb's site and some of the lore
sections were being filled out.

There are certain extremely prominent PCs that are or were pivotal in
certain GM-run plots. Some of these people have since sold their
characters. I believe it's important to mention that these people have
sold in the pertinent articles, particularly if the original owner
wants it known.

The best example I have for this is Pathian. He is no longer played by
the same person that played him during the Tezirah/Tethia plotline. He
was sold some years ago to someone who doesn't seem to know about the
plot or history of the character and for all intents and purposes has
very little interest in roleplaying or staying in-character at all.

I don't feel mentioning this in the articles regarding Pathian and/or
Tethia (Pathian and Tezirah's daughter) is a bad idea. Since I never
got an answer on that article's talk page, I figure I'd mention it
here since the time seems right.

- Rev. Reene

chaos...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2007, 6:58:00 PM4/29/07
to Elanthipedia Contributors
I think syntax should be clarified through discussion of a topic in
general. For example: In forging the mixes are not syntax puzzles.
The syntax is how you, put the ingots into the crucible, push the
bellows, pour your mold and pound/grind the item. The clarification of
the basics of a complex system (Alchemy, Forging, Enchanting) can
allow a player to experiment and discover things on their own.

Players dictating numbers is fine, since it does take a lot of testing
and experimenting to get them accurate.

I feel things about the thief guild are a special case. Listing things
about the abilities should be separate from the main guild pages, not
a "secrets" page, but also not up front... quasi-secret? Putting a lot
of that information on the titles page was difficult for me. Paradigms
shifting and that it is accessible on the Simu page justifies it to
me.

That is my take on it.