Ellen's show on Broadway

ekushner.an...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2008, 12:15:31 PM11/27/08
to EKannouncements
. . . Well, Broadway & West 76th Street, on the Upper West Side (just
north of Lincoln Center) - not exactly the Great White Way, but still,
a show in New York City:

I am very, very excited to announce that New York's renowned Vital
Theatre Company is mounting a fullscale production of THE KLEZMER
NUTCRACKER for this 2008 Holiday Season!

The stage show is based on my radio special (WGBH, "Sound & Spirit") &
CD (Rykodisc) & book (Charlesbridge), THE GOLDEN DREYDL, originally
developed & recorded with Boston's own Shirim Klezmer Orchestra, with
music arranged by Michael McLaughlin & David Harris. Shirim's recorded
music will be part of the New York production.

Together with Vital's fantastic director & choreographer, I've created
a script for a cast of 10 actors & dancers who play everything from
kids at a Chanukah party to three-headed demons to the Queen of
Sheba's camels. It's been an exhilarating experience. And now, to
top it all off:

I'm in the show!

Yep. I'll be playing Tante Miriam, the mysterious magical aunt who
appears to give out the presents (including the magic dreydl) in Act
1.

It's a dream come true for me. I hope you'll be able to come down to
New York for the holidays, do a little shopping, take in a few
museums, see the tree at Rockefeller Center, and see
THE KLEZMER NUTCRACKER!

Shows run weekend days and some week nights from Dec. 6 - Jan. 3.

I'll be doing "talkback" for grownups after the show on Dec. 18th &
Dec. 22nd.

Details & Tickets here:
http://www.vitaltheatre.org/2008Klezmer.php

If you can't make it, consider getting a copy of the book for reading
aloud . . . and do, please, tell a friend or two.

Warmest wishes for the holidays,
Ellen

---------
http://www.EllenKushner.com