Klezmer Nutcracker in NYC thru Jan. 3!

Ellen Kushner

Dec 24, 2009, 3:32:48 PM12/24/09
to EKannouncements
Happy Holidays! Planning a trip to NYC, or know someone who's there?

My "Klezmer Nutcracker" is running at NYC's Vital Theatre, now
through Jan. 3! Sat/Sun shows are at 11 a.m. & 1 p.m. . . . and
WEEKDAY performances have been added for
Mon/Tues/Weds (Dec. 28, 29 & 30th), 1 p.m.

We're delighted to offer a "Friends of Ellen" ticket discount.
Just use code: EK20
when ordering tix by phone (212-579-0528) or online:
http://www.vitaltheatre.org/TheKlezmerNutcracker.php

NYC's ShowBusinessWeekly.com just wrote:
'The play scores over more “traditional” nutcrackers in several
important ways...with dance numbers to swinging Klezmer
interpretations of the Tchaikovsky score....More girl-centered than
its Russian counterpart, the play features a plucky heroine who
effects her own (and her dreydl’s) rescue, instead of getting swept up
in a current of male-driven events...The dreydl magically coming to
life is an excellent physical conceit, as the golden-tutued
dancer...acts far more like a dreydl than I ever saw any ballerino act
like a nutcracker!'

THE KLEZMER NUTCRACKER
Book by Ellen Kushner, based on "The Golden Dreydl" (Charlesbridge
Publishing)
Music by Shirim Klezmer Orchestra, Directed by Linda Ames Key
*NEW Choreography by Bethany White*
December 5th - January 3rd

Vital Theatre Company
2162 Broadway, 4th Floor, at 76th Street, on the Upper West Side
TICKETS:
Get tix online at: http://www.vitaltheatre.org
or call Vital: (212) 579-0528

FAQ:

Is it the same production as last year?
- Not really. I revised the script and added some characters. We
have ALL NEW Sets & Costumes, too! And this year, we've cast ballet
dancers in many roles, so look for some serious twirling - on pointe!
You can see photos from our Dress Rehearsal here:
http://sun-productions.net/Klez09_photos.php

Are you playing Tante Miriam again?
- Not this year. But I'll be out in the lobby signing books after
many shows. (Friends, let me know you're coming, and we can plan
coffee!)

What age group is it for?
- Grownups love it 'cause it's literate and irreverent. Kids of all
ages are welcome. Last year, 7-11-yr olds were my fave audience, but
the magic of music, color & dance seems to work for even the littlest.

Where should we sit?
- It's a tiny theatre; I like rows D-F, myself.

Happiest of holidays to you! Please feel free to pass this message on
to anyone you think might be interested, and I hope to see you at THE
KLEZMER NUTCRACKER!

Ellen

Ellen Kushner
http://www.EllenKushner.com