My "Klezmer Nutcracker" in NYC Dec. 5 - Jan. 3!

Ellen Kushner

Dec 2, 2009, 11:58:32 PM12/2/09
to EKannouncements
Someday we'll bring it to Boston . . . but meanwhile, I'm thrilled to
say that Manhattan's Vital Theatre is mounting an all-new fully-staged
production of last year's very successful "The Klezmer Nutcracker!" I
wrote the script, based on "The Golden Dreydl," a show I created with
Boston's Shirim Klezmer Orchestra that went on to become a WGBH/Sound
& Spirit radio special, a Rykodisc album, and a chapter book from
Charlesbridge Publishing . . . .

A vivacious & talented cast of up-and-coming New York actors and
dancers make the show a real treat this year. If you're planning a
holiday trip to NYC this year, I hope you'll make THE KLEZMER
NUTCRACKER part of your weekend fun!

THE KLEZMER NUTCRACKER
Book by Ellen Kushner, based on "The Golden Dreydl"
Music by Shirim Klezmer Orchestra, Directed by Linda Ames Key
*NEW Choreography by Bethany White*

December 5th - January 3rd
Vital Theatre Company
2162 Broadway, 4th Floor, at 76th Street, on the Upper West Side

TICKETS & INFORMATION:
Get tix online at: http://www.vitaltheatre.org
or call Vital: (212) 579-0528

FAQ:

Is it the same production as last year?
- Not really. I revised the script and added some characters. We
have ALL NEW Sets & Costumes, too! And this year, we've cast ballet
dancers in many roles, so look for some serious spinning - on
pointe!

When are shows?
- Most are Sat/Sun at 11 a.m. & 1 p.m., but there are some weekday
shows during school vacation.
For full schedule, click through on: http://www.vitaltheatre.org/TheKlezmerNutcracker.php

Where are shows?
- In a small theater on Manhattan's Upper West Side (Broadway/W.
76th), a few blocks from the Museum of Natural History and Lincoln
Center.

Are you playing Tante Miriam again?
- Not this year. It's an entirely new cast. But I'll be attending
many shows (except Dec. 19-22), and I'll be out in the lobby signing
books afterwards.

Is the music live?
- No; but we're using gorgeous recordings of Shirim mastered at WGBH
for the radio special.

What age group is it for?
- Grownups love it 'cause it's literate and irreverent. Kids of all
ages are welcome. (Last year, 9-11-yr olds were my fave audience, but
the magic of music, color & dance seems to work for even the
littlest.)

Have any more questions? Feel free to drop me a line at:
Kushne...@gmail.com

Happiest of holidays to you, wherever you may be!

Ellen
Ellen Kushner
http://www.EllenKushner.com
Vital Theatre