initial meeting of the Irish Haskell User's Group

jwlato

Jan 26, 2012, 8:03:00 AM1/26/12
to Eire-HUG
Hello!

Thanks very much to everyone who's expressed interest in forming a new
Haskell User's Group.

We're hoping that this will provide a good opportunity for everyone to
learn about Haskell (and FP in general), share what they're working
on, and have a chance to chat in a relatively informal setting.

I'd like to start by trying to get a sense of what dates/times would
work for an initial meeting. So, I'd appreciate if people could reply
as to when they'd be most able to participate:

Weekday evenings
Weekday daytime
Weekend daytime
Weekend evening

I hope that we'll be able to find a time that suits everyone.

Also, would Maynooth suit everyone? If transportation is a problem,
we can look for a venue in Dublin.

Cheers,
John L.

Oleksandr Manzyuk

Jan 26, 2012, 9:23:42 AM1/26/12
to eire...@googlegroups.com

I'd be most able (and willing) to participate on weekdays, preferably
daytime. Evenings are also OK provided that the meetings take place
in Maynooth.

Best,
Sasha
--
Oleksandr Manzyuk
http://oleksandrmanzyuk.wordpress.com

Andrew Butterfield

Jan 26, 2012, 11:43:14 AM1/26/12
to eire...@googlegroups.com

On 26 Jan 2012, at 13:03, jwlato wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Thanks very much to everyone who's expressed interest in forming a new
> Haskell User's Group.
>
> We're hoping that this will provide a good opportunity for everyone to
> learn about Haskell (and FP in general), share what they're working
> on, and have a chance to chat in a relatively informal setting.
>
> I'd like to start by trying to get a sense of what dates/times would
> work for an initial meeting. So, I'd appreciate if people could reply
> as to when they'd be most able to participate:
>
> Weekday evenings

should be OK
> Weekday daytime
also OK
> Weekend daytime

not good - esp. Sundays
> Weekend evening

not good

> I hope that we'll be able to find a time that suits everyone.
>
> Also, would Maynooth suit everyone? If transportation is a problem,
> we can look for a venue in Dublin.
>
> Cheers,
> John L.

Andrew Butterfield Tel: +353-1-896-2517 Fax: +353-1-677-2204
Lero@TCD, Head of Foundations & Methods Research Group
Director of Teaching and Learning - Undergraduate,
School of Computer Science and Statistics,
Room G.39, O'Reilly Institute, Trinity College, University of Dublin
http://www.scss.tcd.ie/Andrew.Butterfield/

Glenn Strong

Jan 26, 2012, 12:26:28 PM1/26/12
to eire...@googlegroups.com
Weekday day and evening should be OK (depending on the exact day).
Weekends are less so.

Maynooth is fine for me if we are roughly in sync with the trains.

--
Glenn Strong https://www.scss.tcd.ie/Glenn.Strong
Asst. Professor, School of Computer Science and Statistics

Simon Dardis

Jan 31, 2012, 11:56:01 AM1/31/12
to Eire-HUG

>   Weekday evenings
>   Weekday daytime

Are my preference, though it may depend on the day.

Maynooth is fine, depending on train times.

Simon Dardis

David Rush

Jan 31, 2012, 4:27:25 PM1/31/12
to eire...@googlegroups.com
If there's anyone else in the Trinity area, weekday afternoon/evenings
would be great for me :)

otherwise some weekday afternoon in Maynooth can also work out. I am
assuming that we're only talking about 1x/month frequency at the most?

david
--
GPG Public key at http://cyber-rush.org/drr/gpg-public-key.txt

Andrew Butterfield

Feb 2, 2012, 4:10:10 AM2/2/12
to eire...@googlegroups.com
On 31 January 2012 21:27, David Rush <kumo...@gmail.com> wrote:
If there's anyone else in the Trinity area, weekday afternoon/evenings
would be great for me :)

Perhaps we should all introduce ourselves a little more?

I am based in TCD as are Glenn Strong and Simon Dardis

We teach Haskell, now finally as a mandatory 3rd year course :-) :-) , with a 4th year elective to take matters further.

These days I only use Haskell to do serious programming - I have developed a prototype
theorem proving assistant using it:

otherwise some weekday afternoon in Maynooth can also work out. I am
assuming that we're only talking about 1x/month frequency at the most?

Seems reasonable to start

--
Andrew Butterfield
Dublin, Ireland

Oleksandr Manzyuk

Feb 8, 2012, 11:01:44 AM2/8/12
to eire...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I think we should finally agree on a date/time/place of the initial
meeting. Since nobody is making suggestions, I'll step forward.
Would do you think about next Thursday (16 Feb.), from 6pm, in
Maynooth?

Andrew Butterfield

Feb 8, 2012, 11:12:53 AM2/8/12
to eire...@googlegroups.com
I'm *almost* certainly out of the country that day (but don't let me stop the rest of you !)

Glenn Strong

Feb 8, 2012, 11:35:03 AM2/8/12
to eire...@googlegroups.com
On 08/02/12 16:01, Oleksandr Manzyuk wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I think we should finally agree on a date/time/place of the initial
> meeting. Since nobody is making suggestions, I'll step forward.
> Would do you think about next Thursday (16 Feb.), from 6pm, in
> Maynooth?

That's OK with me.

--
Glenn Strong
Asst. Professor, School of Computer Science and Statistics
https://www.scss.tcd.ie/Glenn.Strong/ +353 1 896 3629

Simon Dardis

Feb 9, 2012, 9:37:37 AM2/9/12
to Eire-HUG

I can't make that particular time/day combination I'm afraid.

Simon.

David Rush

Feb 9, 2012, 9:48:56 AM2/9/12
to eire...@googlegroups.com
would earlier suit?

Oleksandr Manzyuk

Feb 9, 2012, 12:45:40 PM2/9/12
to eire...@googlegroups.com
I am available Mon-Fri 9-19. So, I should probably fade out and let
you guys agree on the date and time that suit you. I'd really love to
have an initial meeting before the end of this month, though.

--
Oleksandr Manzyuk
http://oleksandrmanzyuk.wordpress.com

Simon Dardis

Feb 9, 2012, 4:37:19 PM2/9/12
to Eire-HUG
Possibly, there's an event I need to get to for 6 in TCD.
I don't mind leaving early though.

Simon

On Feb 9, 2:48 pm, David Rush <kumoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> would earlier suit?

Alexey Radul

Feb 9, 2012, 7:12:13 PM2/9/12
to eire...@googlegroups.com
You know, there is a technology for solving this problem. Turns out
to be a bit unwieldy with such a wide range of options, but please
insert your time preferences here:

http://www.doodle.com/hbvp3hcuzf6gqggd

~Alexey

David Rush

Feb 10, 2012, 8:19:14 AM2/10/12
to eire...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps I am too thick, but doodle.com just doesn't get it done for
me. The language for expressing preferences is just too weak.

My preferences would be Tue afternoon, and Wed (preferred) or Thur
afternoon or evening, if the venue is Maynooth. At a Trinity venue,
any weekday afternoon is open, preference given to Wednesdays which
could also encompass an evening meeting.

Carlo Spaccasassi

Feb 10, 2012, 12:43:45 PM2/10/12
to Eire-HUG
Tue, Wed and Friday afternoons would work best for me, either in
Maynooth or TCD.
I'm based in TCD though, I'd have more flexibility if the event was
based there.

Regarding meeting the 16th, I'm afraid I can only be in Maynooth for
an hour or so, from around 6pm to 7.30, because of train schedules and
commitments.

Carlo

PS: I attach a link to the Dublin-Maynooth train's timetable, for
anyone based in Dublin:
http://www.irishrail.ie/media/DublinMaynooth111.pdf

On Feb 10, 1:19 pm, David Rush <kumoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps I am too thick, but doodle.com just doesn't get it done for
> me. The language for expressing preferences is just too weak.
>
> My preferences would be Tue afternoon, and Wed (preferred) or Thur
> afternoon or evening, if the venue is Maynooth. At a Trinity venue,
> any weekday afternoon is open, preference given to Wednesdays which
> could also encompass an evening meeting.
>
> On 10 February 2012 00:12, Alexey Radul <axo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > You know, there is a technology for solving this problem.  Turns out
> > to be a bit unwieldy with such a wide range of options, but please
> > insert your time preferences here:
>
> >http://www.doodle.com/hbvp3hcuzf6gqggd
>
> > ~Alexey

Oleksandr Manzyuk

Feb 14, 2012, 2:20:16 PM2/14/12
to eire...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

From the data collected by doodle, it follows that (for those who
cared to enter their preferences) Tuesday, 21 February, 6pm is the
most convenient time for an initial meeting. David also expressed
preference towards Tuesday afternoons, so I assume there are at least
5 people willing to meet next Tuesday. If there are no objections, I
suggest to stick with this time. As for the venue, I suggest having
an initial meeting in Maynooth (for example, because the idea of
Eire-HUG was born here ;-)), and alternating the subsequent meetings
between Maynooth and Dublin.

Thoughts?

David Rush

Feb 14, 2012, 4:54:24 PM2/14/12