Websocket example

Anders Persson

Jul 9, 2018, 1:45:43 AM7/9/18
to Eiffel Web Framework
Hi

I started to use and modify the websocket example. When the client is connected the server, websocxket_app, takes 100% of one of the processors. Is that something that is possible to avoid?

I am running at a Ubuntu version 16

Regards

Anders

Paul Gokke

Jul 10, 2018, 2:12:30 AM7/10/18
to eiffel-web...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anders,

Normally when you have this kind of behaviour it means that the application has a loop which is run continuously, without triggering an operating system call, letting the operating system reschedule.
Running continuously meaning, the application never does a call to the operating system, so the operating system can schedule another task to execute.
Normally an application is doing some thing and then waits for another thing to do. So has an event driven nature.
When the application is waiting for it's next thing to do it should go idle (making the cpu load 0%). This is done by handing over the execution to the operating system.

In the case of the web socket application, this should also be the normal case. The application starts and creates the socket and then goes into a waiting mode for some client to make a connection on the socket.
During this wait time, the application normally is in an idle state, meaning the operating system can handle other tasks and cpu load of the web socket application goes to 0%.

Look at your setting for concurrency in the Eiffel application. This could be multi threaded, single threaded or scoop (default).
This could make a difference and look closely to your application for infinite loops which don't make calls to the operating system.

Regards, Paul

See the site for the Eiffel-Web-Framework project at
https://github.com/EiffelWebFramework/EWF
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Eiffel Web Framework" group.

Anders Persson

Jul 10, 2018, 6:32:42 AM7/10/18
to Eiffel Web Framework
Hi

Yes I agree with you.

Note that this is only when a client is connected. As soon as I disconnect the client the CPU usage drops.

I also tried with building with SCOOP but that did not change this behaviour.

It is in this code it waits for input and the caller just loops until it get some result from this feature.:

wait_for_input (cb: detachable WEB_SOCKET_EVENT_I)
-- (export status {WEB_SOCKET_HANDLER})
local
l_timeout, nb: INTEGER_32
l_cb_timeout: INTEGER_32
do
has_input := False
if cb = Void then
has_input := socket.ready_for_reading
else
l_cb_timeout := cb.timer_delay
l_timeout := socket.timeout
if l_cb_timeout = 0 then
has_input := socket.ready_for_reading
else
cb.on_timer (Current)
if l_cb_timeout > l_timeout then  --------this is always true in the example. l_timeout is 0 and l_cb_timeout is 1. Might be that one need to configure this to avoid using 100% CPU during a connection
has_input := socket.ready_for_reading
else
from
l_timeout := socket.timeout
nb := l_timeout
socket.set_timeout (l_cb_timeout)
until
has_input or nb <= 0
loop
has_input := socket.ready_for_reading
if not has_input then
socket.set_timeout (l_timeout)
cb.on_timer (Current)
socket.set_timeout (l_cb_timeout)
end
nb := nb - l_cb_timeout
end
socket.set_timeout (l_timeout)
end
end
end
end

This is the settings used in the example:

port=9090

#Socket and timeout
max_concurrent_connections=100
max_tcp_clients=100
socket_timeout=30
socket_recv_timeout=5

#Persistent connections
keep_alive_timeout=2
max_keep_alive_requests=-1

#SSL
is_secure=false
secure_certificate=ca.crt
secure_certificate_key=ca.key

#Debug
verbose=true
verbose_level=INFORMATION

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 7:45 AM Anders Persson <ander...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi

I started to use and modify the websocket example. When the client is connected the server, websocxket_app, takes 100% of one of the processors. Is that something that is possible to avoid?

I am running at a Ubuntu version 16

Regards

Anders

See the site for the Eiffel-Web-Framework project at
https://github.com/EiffelWebFramework/EWF
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Eiffel Web Framework" group.

Anders Persson

Sep 17, 2018, 6:58:49 AM9/17/18
to Eiffel Web Framework
Anyone that have any ideas of how to solve this problem?

JV

Sep 17, 2018, 8:57:25 AM9/17/18
to Eiffel Web Framework
Hi, Anders,

Could you share a little example reproducing this issue?

/Javier

Jocelyn Fiat

Sep 17, 2018, 8:57:43 AM9/17/18
to eiffel-web-framework
Hi Anders,

Do you have by any luck a simple project that reproduces this issue, so we can try on our side?
Also, can you precise which version of EiffelStudio you are using, and if you are using the libraries coming with EiffelStudio, or the one from the GitHub repository?

Regards,
-- Jocelyn

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/eiffel-web-framework

See the site for the Eiffel-Web-Framework project at
https://github.com/EiffelWebFramework/EWF
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Eiffel Web Framework" group.

See the site for the Eiffel-Web-Framework project at
https://github.com/EiffelWebFramework/EWF
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Eiffel Web Framework" group.

Jocelyn
Eiffel Software
https://www.eiffel.com
Customer support: https://support.eiffel.com
User group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/eiffel-users

Anders Persson

Sep 17, 2018, 9:32:23 AM9/17/18
to Eiffel Web Framework
Use the websocket_app to reproduce it.

18.1 av EiffelStudio

I am using the libraries included in the above distribution.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/eiffel-web-framework

See the site for the Eiffel-Web-Framework project at
https://github.com/EiffelWebFramework/EWF
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Eiffel Web Framework" group.

See the site for the Eiffel-Web-Framework project at
https://github.com/EiffelWebFramework/EWF
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Eiffel Web Framework" group.

javier hector

Sep 17, 2018, 9:40:00 AM9/17/18
to eiffel-web...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anders,

OS : Ubuntu 16.04?
SSL: enabled?

/Javier

[...]

Anders Persson

Sep 17, 2018, 9:52:49 AM9/17/18
to eiffel-web...@googlegroups.com
 Ubuntu 18.04 (upgraded recently) building and executing but it is the same at 16.04 executing.

SSL enabled

Vänligen

Anders Persson
+46 763 17 23 25

javier hector

Sep 17, 2018, 2:14:42 PM9/17/18
to eiffel-web...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anders,

Please try to test the WebSocket application updating the keep_alive_timeout=1.

/Javier

Anders Persson

Sep 17, 2018, 4:24:20 PM9/17/18
to eiffel-web...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I can not see any difference when changing to keep_alive_timeout=1.

Vänligen

Anders Persson
+46 763 17 23 25

Anders Persson

Oct 27, 2018, 8:28:09 AM10/27/18
to Eiffel Web Framework
Hi

I made a change that improved the situation a lot. When debugging the code in class WEB_socket to try to understand why it consumed all my CPU cycles:

wait_for_input (cb: detachable WEB_SOCKET_EVENT_I)
local
l_timeout, nb: INTEGER
l_cb_timeout: INTEGER
do
has_input := False
if cb = Void then
has_input := socket.ready_for_reading
else
l_cb_timeout := cb.timer_delay
l_timeout := socket.timeout
if l_cb_timeout = 0 then
-- timeout event not enabled.
has_input := socket.ready_for_reading
else
cb.on_timer (Current)
if l_cb_timeout > l_timeout then
-- event timeout duration is bigger than socket timeout
-- thus, no on_timeout before next frame waiting
has_input := socket.ready_for_reading
else
from
l_timeout := socket.timeout
nb := l_timeout
socket.set_timeout (l_cb_timeout) -- FIXME: for now 1 sec is the smaller timeout we can use.
until
has_input or nb <= 0
loop
has_input := socket.ready_for_reading
if not has_input then
-- Call on_timeout only if there is no input,
-- otherwise it was called once before the initial wait.
socket.set_timeout (l_timeout)
cb.on_timer (Current)
socket.set_timeout (l_cb_timeout)
end
nb := nb - l_cb_timeout
end
socket.set_timeout (l_timeout)
end
end
end
end

I found out that due to that the socket timeout was set to 0 it did not care about changing the timer delay

set_timer_delay (5)

I did not find a proper way to set the socket timer so I changed some features in WEB_SOCKET to public and could then do the following call

ws.socket.set_timeout_ns(1000000000)

Which removed most of the CPU load.

In my ws.ini file I have this setting

socket_timeout=30

Why is the socket timeout set to 0 ? Is it a problem if I change it to 1 s? How can I change it without making ws.socket public?

[...]

Jocelyn Fiat

Oct 27, 2018, 1:44:55 PM10/27/18
to eiffel-web...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for this analyze, this is a great contribution to fix the websocket CPU issue on Linux.
I started to work on EiffelWeb to benefit from the nanosecond timeout precision, and this will be a good opportunity to fix this timeout issue.

-- Jocelyn for the EiffelWeb Framework project.

[...]

Jocelyn Fiat

Oct 29, 2018, 8:26:59 AM10/29/18
to Eiffel Web Framework
Hi Anders, and others,

The issue with timeout is now fixed in github EWF repository (branch master, and tag v1.1.0).
We also added support for nanosecond precision introduced in EiffelNet with EiffelStudio 18.01 .

Anders, we would appreciate, if you could check this version, and tell us if this fixes your issues.

Thanks again for reporting this issue with websocket and timeout.
[...]

Anders Persson

Oct 30, 2018, 7:13:52 AM10/30/18
to eiffel-web...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

Can you give me a link to the change that I should test so that I know I have the correct version of the library?

Vänligen

Anders Persson
+46 763 17 23 25

[...]

Jocelyn Fiat

Oct 30, 2018, 7:26:34 AM10/30/18
to eiffel-web...@googlegroups.com

Anders Persson

Nov 3, 2018, 5:09:47 PM11/3/18
to Eiffel Web Framework
Hi

I can confirm that v1.1.0 fixes the 100% CPU load issue .