Testing Github authorized applications

Anders Persson

Sep 7, 2018, 11:19:24 AM9/7/18
to Eiffel Web Framework
I have integrated Github authorization in the websocket example. However, it works well at the production server but I am not sure how to be able to verify new features in my test environment.
I can set up a specific Github aithorization app for that case also but then I need to expose my internal test and development servers to Internet.

I am used to Facebook authentication and they have for example the possibility to set something they call "Server IP Whiltelist" that grant special rights to redirect to other servers that the offical.
One can also use a test version of an app where you can set define further changes coppmared to the orignial production environment.

How do you use Github Authentication during test and development?

Anders Persson

Sep 10, 2018, 3:39:03 AM9/10/18
to Eiffel Web Framework
The solution I went for was to create a new GitHub OAuth App for test purposes. It worked with setting the Home Page URL to "https://localhost:PORTNUMBER" and the Authorization callback URL
to "https://localhost:PORTNUMBER/login_with_github_callback"

JV

Sep 10, 2018, 7:39:34 AM9/10/18
to Eiffel Web Framework
Hi Anders,

Great, I'm glad you find a solution and it works well for you and could help others. By the way, FYI today looking for Github API development,
 I've found they are deprecating the GitHub Services, so if you have planned to use them please read the following article https://developer.github.com/v3/guides/replacing-github-services/.

/Javier