Deploy standalone EWF on Apache

behshad sebthosseini

Dec 20, 2018, 2:25:08 PM12/20/18
to Eiffel Web Framework
Hello,
I read the material in EWF github page and learned to develop a standalone web server in Eiffel.
I was wondering how I can deploy this web server in an apache environment?

My code is in a public github repo:

Behshad Sebthosseini

Paul Gokke

Dec 21, 2018, 3:37:50 AM12/21/18
to eiffel-web...@googlegroups.com
Hi behshad,

You should look into an example that Jocelyn Fiat created on his GitHub environment for EWF.
I also used that in our company Payplaza to get this going and it currently runs in production environment.

Look at the following location:

There you will find a docker file which shows you the basic setup for apache.

Please install Docker and the follow the instructions from Jocelyn.

Use nsenter to enter the Docker container without SSH to investigate the setup to explore, see https://coderwall.com/p/xwbraq/attach-to-your-docker-containers-with-ease-using-nsenter

Good Luck!

Best regards,

Paul

See the site for the Eiffel-Web-Framework project at
https://github.com/EiffelWebFramework/EWF
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Eiffel Web Framework" group.

Jocelyn Fiat

Dec 21, 2018, 1:31:33 PM12/21/18
to eiffel-web-framework
Hi Behshad, Jonathan, and others,

With EiffelWeb we have mainly 3 connectors:
- Standalone:
    This is a standalone httpd server by itself, listening to a specific port.
     It does not need Apache or else, but each student would need to use a specific port, and I am not sure this is possible in school infrastructure.
     Note that standalone httpd server can be used behind a web proxy (such as nginx, haproxy, ...), common in Microservice architecture.
     But again, I doubt the Apache server available for the students is adapted for this.
- FastCGI:
     Using the Apache support for FastCGI, the student can probably use this solution with Apache/UserDir environment.
     You may look at the project https://github.com/EiffelWebFramework/EWF/tree/master/examples/docker , reading the dockerfile, and the associated files, you will figure out how to setup apache.
     I haven't tried with specific Apache/Userdir option, but I don't see why it would not work. You need to use an .htaccess file (as https://github.com/EiffelWebFramework/EWF/blob/master/examples/docker/files/html/.htaccess ).
     Note: this requires Apache to be configured to support FastCGI servers.
- CGI scripts:
     As many years ago, this is a simple solution (but not the most efficient solution, as the executable is launched for every request). But this is a simple solution to test an EiffelWeb application with almost any httpd server accepting CGI scripts.

(side note: using cloud machine is also a solution, especially with docker environment, but then, this is not anymore using the Apache/UserDir infrastructure).

If you need more information, let us know, and we'll do our best to get your web application working.

Kind regards,
-- Jocelyn

--
Jocelyn