How to run without debugger?

Brother Bill

Jun 1, 2024, 2:36:31 PMJun 1
to Eiffel Users
In OOSC2 example on page 423, we raise exceptions and then deal with them.  By default, the debugger stops on raising exceptions.

How can we force the debugger to "ignore" exceptions?

Jocelyn Fiat

Jun 3, 2024, 8:55:39 AMJun 3
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
With EiffelStudio you can
- Run Workbench (or finalized)  Outside EiffelStudio

If you want to run within Eiffelstudio, with debugger support
- at any moment you can "Detach Execution" ... the execution will continue without any debugger support.

And if you want to ignore specific (or all)  exceptions, I invite you to see the "Execution > Exception Handling" menu item , it will open the Exception handling dialog that gives you the option to ignore calcalls, and you can filter exceptions . For each exception you can "Ignore" or "Catch" (or "Disabled" to keep default behavior, and thus disable the related filter)

On Sat, Jun 1, 2024 at 8:36 PM Brother Bill <brother...@gmail.com> wrote:
In OOSC2 example on page 423, we raise exceptions and then deal with them.  By default, the debugger stops on raising exceptions.

How can we force the debugger to "ignore" exceptions?

Jocelyn
Eiffel Software
https://www.eiffel.com
Customer support: https://support.eiffel.com
User group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/eiffel-users

Brother Bill

Jun 3, 2024, 2:55:18 PMJun 3
to Eiffel Users
I want the exceptions to fire, forcing the rescue clause to run.
I don't want the debugger to activate, so the exception can be raised, the rescue clause run, and then it "just works".
That is, I want it to run uninterrupted.

What are the steps for that?

Jocelyn Fiat

Jun 3, 2024, 4:21:53 PMJun 3
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
This is exactly what "Exceptions handling" is for.
It will not modify the execution of the application, it will just modify the behavior of the debugger ... i.e
"Catch or Ignore" the exception ... or if you prefer ... the debugger will interrupt (catch) or will not interrupt (ignore)  the exception.

Brother Bill

Jun 4, 2024, 11:08:05 AMJun 4
to Eiffel Users
This got the job done.
1. Execution | Exception Handling...
2. Click on button: "Ignore External Exception?"
3. Click OK.
4. Execute with F5, runs without debugger waking up.