Alternative for reading data from a card with eID-applet

SDM

Dec 2, 2015, 2:57:26 AM12/2/15
to eID Applet
Hello,

I have asked this question a couple of weeks ago, but my post never seemed to be approved, so now I'm simply asking it again.

Applets will no longer be supported in future browser versions (Chrome and Edge already don't support it anymore, and Firefox will stop supporting it by the end of 2016).
Currently, we use the eID-applet for reading data from an eID-card.

We were wondering how we can do this without using the eID-applet?
We want to read data off the card (last name, first name, registration number, etc.) without the need for the user to enter his PIN-code (this wasn't needed with the eID-applet either).

If there is no alternative yet (which seems very unlikely), when will this be possible or what are the plans regarding this topic?

Thanks in advance.
Kind regards,
Stephanie

Frank Cornelis

Dec 2, 2015, 3:34:43 AM12/2/15
to eid-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephanie,

For Google Chrome, we already integrated our new eID Chrome solution within our eID services. With about 20.000 active users, see also:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/eid-chrome-extension/bkbdaodnaecdijpajecpncpdomgcoakc
this new eID runtime definitely meets our expectations and makes for a strong foundation for the next generation web browsers.
You can test out the eID Identity Provider version 2 via:
    https://www.e-contract.be/eid-idp-sp/
The authentication protocol metadata is available via:
    https://www.e-contract.be/eid-idp/

Please notice that the eID Identity Provider v2 instance provided at:
    https://www.e-contract.be/eid-idp/
is a development only version. For production usage, please check out:
    https://www.e-contract.be/#/products?product=idp

As the web browser landscape is evolving very fast these days, it is no longer feasible to integrate eID runtimes (like the eID Applet) yourself. You are better off by switching to an identity provider architecture where the identity provider takes care of all funny web browser  peculiarities for you. That way you can also better focus on your business, just like we do on ours.

Let me once more bring the following to your attention: "there is no such thing as a free lunch".
In the past, we could position components like the eID Applet as open source, since FedICT was funding the development (and hence you indirectly paid for it via tax money). Since FedICT pulled the plug, we had to resolve to a business model of our own to be able to fund future developments on the eID services and underlying eID runtimes. This is the actual situation. Deal with it.

As for the future, we're currently working on yet another new eID runtime: eID Chrome OS. This eID runtime will allow us to also target Google Chromebooks. The eID Chrome OS runtime will be integrated in both eID Identity Provider and Digital Signature Service hopefully by 2016 Q1. A technology preview is available at:
    https://www.e-contract.be/eid-chrome/eid-chrome-os.mp4

Kind Regards,
Frank.