Dictionary database format

BratrJaguar

Dec 28, 2009, 4:38:48 AM12/28/09
to EHTip
Hello,

could i ask you which database format do you use for this great
extension? I would like to use it for German-Czech, Spanish-Czech
translation but i don't have any idea where i could get the
dictionaries.

thank you

Robert Katić

Dec 28, 2009, 9:58:10 AM12/28/09
to EHTip
Dictionaries are simple text files that are automatically converted to
database files by EHTip.

Those text files have ".dict" extension and are written with a simple
syntax:

something=translation1|translation2|translation3

Currently, UTF-8 is the only text encoding supported!

You can download some ready dictionaries from http://bender.fesb.hr/~robert/ehtip/download.html
as examples.

To create an another dictionary, firstly you have to search for a free
one in text format.
Such file you can use to generate a valid (UTF-8) .dict file with the
supported syntax. That can be relatively easy to do with some
scripting.

However, if you are able to find a free dictionary in text format,
which have at least 60.000 headwords for each language, then you can
send me that file(s) and I will convert and publish it on EHTip site.

BratrJaguar

Dec 28, 2009, 11:22:03 AM12/28/09
to EHTip
Thank you for your answer Robert,

May i ask you from which source you got the Czech-English dictionary
please?

The only free dictionaries i have found for Czech language are on
dicts.info but the entries count is poor and the format is different.
I suppose i could convert it but there are many entries in source
language on one line sometimes and i don't know how to split it.

Regards,
Robert :)

Robert Katić

Dec 28, 2009, 2:01:34 PM12/28/09
to EHTip
> May i ask you from which source you got the Czech-English dictionary
> please?

http://freedict.org

I forgotten to say that the supported syntax by EHTip is even more
flexible.
In fact, translations of same word can be putted on multiple lines
too:

something=translation1|translation2|translation3
something=translation4

is equal to:

something=translation1|translation2|translation3|translation4