Looking for Advice for Egg Holder Suction Cup?

rebel...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2023, 2:58:30 AM3/29/23
to EggBotUser
I know this is an old topic and an even older group, but hopefully someone can help. I am looking for suggestion for how to hold the egg to an eggbot clone. Suction cups, maybe? Or...? How was the egg held in the original eggbot? Everything I've tried slips a little bit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Windell H. Oskay

Mar 29, 2023, 3:00:19 AM3/29/23
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
The current-generation EggBots use a laser-cut circle of sanding sponge, glued to a flat aluminum base. It conforms to the shape and provides a good grippy surface that doesn’t slip. The disadvantage is that it isn’t self-centering.

> On Mar 28, 2023, at 11:57 PM, rebel...@gmail.com <rebel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I know this is an old topic and an even older group, but hopefully someone can help. I am looking for suggestion for how to hold the egg to an eggbot clone. Suction cups, maybe? Or...? How was the egg held in the original eggbot? Everything I've tried slips a little bit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> --

Windell H. Oskay, Ph.D.
Co-Founder and Chief Scientist
Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories
1285 Forgewood Ave
Sunnyvale CA 94089
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Dan Newman

Mar 29, 2023, 11:00:21 AM3/29/23
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com, rebel...@gmail.com
Don't recall if this was on the acrylic eggbot (circa 2008/2009) or the
original production eggbot, but I had some success using adhesive, clear
rubber "feet" (e.g., search for "rubber feet for electronics"). Later,
I did some simple 3D digital modeling and 3D printed some "cups" which
I'd then coat with a small amount of rubber cement (and allow to dry
before using). The rubber cement would provide a slightly tacky surface
with a small but sufficient gripping strength to prevent slippage.

See the pictures in https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5423 to see my
using clear "rubber" electronics feet.

Regards,
Dan

Tony DeVito

Mar 29, 2023, 12:12:49 PM3/29/23
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
The original eggbot that I have came with small cups to capture the egg. They offered replacements that were larger and more secure as replacement parts. I’m sure I upgraded. I’ll be digging it out in the next few days I’ll post a picture when I can figure out where it’s hiding

TDV

Colmena

Mar 31, 2023, 12:03:17 PM3/31/23
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
image.png

rebel...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2023, 10:09:36 PM3/31/23
to EggBotUser
I can't seem to reply individually, so... bear with me.

RE: win...@oskay.net ... interesting. I'll have to check that out. Thank you!

RE: Dan: I never thought about rubber feet. I don't think the ones I have are squishy enough, but I'll have to take another look at them. I like the 3d printed pieces with rubber cement idea. You don't happen to have those stls laying around, do you?

RE: Tony D: I'd appreciate that. Thank you!

RE: colme...@gmail.com: I'm guessing those are rubber? But rubber what?

I appreciate all the replies. Hopefully I can get this working. When I first built it, I was impressed with the potential.

Dan Newman

Apr 2, 2023, 5:14:16 PM4/2/23
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
> RE: Dan: I never thought about rubber feet. I don't think the ones I
> have are squishy enough, but I'll have to take another look at them. I
> like the 3d printed pieces with rubber cement idea. You don't happen to
> have those stls laying around, do you?

Sorry, not any more... that was 13 +/- years ago and I'm not much of a
pack rat -- not even a digital pack rat.

Cheers,
Dan

Tony DeVito

Apr 2, 2023, 5:52:16 PM4/2/23
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
Looks like they’re using suction cup hangers in this thingiverse.com version

They sell a variety of them at Home Depot

rebel...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2023, 11:24:06 PM4/3/23
to EggBotUser
I've seen those suction cups, but I didn't think that they would grab an egg all that well. To me, they looked too wide and too flat. I'll check them out though. Thanks for the thingi link.