Powering Eggbot Pro

Peter Esso

Sep 1, 2016, 5:19:42 PM9/1/16
to EggBotUser
EggBot Pro works when powered through Mac USB port but not through a self powered USB hub.

Brian Schmalz

Sep 1, 2016, 5:46:28 PM9/1/16
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com

Does your Eggbot show any lit LEDs when you unplug it from the hub, but keep the 9v power plugged in?

Brian

Lenore M. Edman

Sep 1, 2016, 5:47:49 PM9/1/16
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
USB hubs can be problematic (and not just for EggBot). I'd like to clarify that the EggBot requires that it be powered through a separate power supply. It cannot be powered solely over USB.
Best,
Lenore

On Sep 1, 2016, at 2:19 PM, Peter Esso <der...@gmail.com> wrote:

> EggBot Pro works when powered through Mac USB port but not through a self powered USB hub.

Peter Esso

Sep 1, 2016, 6:16:11 PM9/1/16
to EggBotUser
Yes, all LED lights stay lit on the Eggbot Pro

Brian Schmalz

Sep 1, 2016, 6:31:55 PM9/1/16
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
And do those LEDs stay lit when you plug it into your hub (and from the hub to the computer)? Does the USB LED blink when you have it connected through the hub to the computer? What kind of a failure do you see when it doesn't work - do the motors just not move? Is there any error reported in Inkscape?

*Brian

Home/Consulting www.schmalzhaus.com
Work www.csi360.com

Sep 1, 2016, 7:07:38 PM9/1/16
to EggBotUser
The Eggbot Pro works when it is plugged into its own power supply and the Mac Book Pro USB port.
It doesn't work when it is plugged into its own power source and into a USB hub, which has it's has it's own power source, and is plugged into the Mac Book Pro.

I now think the problem might be that the hub uses USB 1 while the Eggbot Pro and the Mac Book Pro are both USB 2.
May be time to upgrade the hub.

Brian Schmalz

Sep 1, 2016, 8:26:29 PM9/1/16
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

Yes! If you somehow have a USB 1 hub, then getting a newer one might make all the difference in the world.

Another thing to check: some folks have USB cables that just don't want to work with hubs - they simply swap out the cable between the hub and the EB and it starts working. If you have spare USB cables to swap around, I'd try that too.