Re: [EggBot] Digest for eggbotuser@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Robert Dering

Nov 22, 2016, 8:19:06 PM11/22/16
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
I am generating the .svg files myself to design egg designs for my EggBot.

I set my page size at 3200 width and 800 height. My units are pix. Under the Grids tab I have grid 3353, Enabled, Visible and Snap to grid lines only checked. Spacing X is 16.65 and Spacing Y is also 16.65. Grid units is pix. My major grid line is 6. The page is shone in its entirety on the screen at 55 %

I save this as my template in a file on my desktop. After creating a design I save that in the same desktop folder.

Now when I go to my desktop file and open a design file or the template, they open on the screen enlarged to 150%. I then have to go to Z and reduce the page back manually to 55%.

I know it doesn't seem like much but it used to open files at 55%, the same way they were saved.

Thanking you in advance,

Bob

On Nov 22, 2016, at 4:15 AM, eggbo...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Peter Esso <der...@gmail.com>: Nov 21 01:31PM -0800

When I used to open an .svg file in inkscape its would open at 53% size/
That was the % size it was created in. Now the files are opened at160% and
I have to decrease it manually to 53%. How do I get back to opening the
file at 53%?
"Windell H. Oskay" <win...@oskay.net>: Nov 21 01:58PM -0800

> On Nov 21, 2016, at 1:31 PM, Peter Esso <der...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I used to open an .svg file in inkscape its would open at 53% size/ That was the % size it was created in. Now the files are opened at160% and I have to decrease it manually to 53%. How do I get back to opening the file at 53%?

There's a lot of variation in SVG files, and Inkscape handles them with varying degrees of success.

I don't recall off-hand a change in how Inkscape handles the scale of imported files. However, I have seen a lot of cases recently where imported data comes in at very different scales depending on the environment that it has been imported from.

One thing that you might try is opening an Inkscape template in your preferred units and then using the File>Import command to place the file, rather than File>Open. If the SVG file that you are opening does not have a "viewBox" specified, this can sometimes help to resolve the error.

If you're generating the SVG file yourself (or importing from a specific place), I might be able to provide some additional suggestions.

Cheers,
-Windell

Windell H. Oskay, Ph.D.
Co-Founder and Chief Scientist
Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories
175 San Lazaro Ave, STE 150
Sunnyvale CA 94086
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Windell H. Oskay

Nov 22, 2016, 8:40:26 PM11/22/16
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
Does the EggBot template open correctly for you? And if so, can you you use that (or a modified version of it) as your template?

Can you please say what you mean by "go to Z"?

> On Nov 22, 2016, at 5:19 PM, Robert Dering <der...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am generating the .svg files myself to design egg designs for my EggBot.
>
> I set my page size at 3200 width and 800 height. My units are pix. Under the Grids tab I have grid 3353, Enabled, Visible and Snap to grid lines only checked. Spacing X is 16.65 and Spacing Y is also 16.65. Grid units is pix. My major grid line is 6. The page is shone in its entirety on the screen at 55 %
>
> I save this as my template in a file on my desktop. After creating a design I save that in the same desktop folder.
>
> Now when I go to my desktop file and open a design file or the template, they open on the screen enlarged to 150%. I then have to go to Z and reduce the page back manually to 55%.
>
> I know it doesn't seem like much but it used to open files at 55%, the same way they were saved.

Robert Dering

Nov 23, 2016, 11:57:27 AM11/23/16
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
Z is for Zoom found in the lower right corner of the Inscape Window.

All I wish to do is set up a page template, hight, width and grid size. Then save it as a .svg file on my desktop. When I open it I want it to be the same zoom size as when I saved it. That is usually at 55%. That does not happen now. It opens at 150%. I have to go to the zoom box and manually reduce it to 55%. The same thing happens when I create an egg design on the template at the zoom size of 55%, save it to the desktop and then reopen it. I did not have that problem before I upgraded the operating system to Sierra 10.12.1.

It is just a pain to have to do this every time I open a template or an egg design. If there is no correction available, that is OK and I will just do it manually each time.

Thanks!
Bob

"Windell H. Oskay" <win...@oskay.net>: Nov 22 05:40PM -0800

Does the EggBot template open correctly for you? And if so, can you you use that (or a modified version of it) as your template?

Can you please say what you mean by "go to Z"?

> I save this as my template in a file on my desktop. After creating a design I save that in the same desktop folder.

> Now when I go to my desktop file and open a design file or the template, they open on the screen enlarged to 150%. I then have to go to Z and reduce the page back manually to 55%.

> I know it doesn't seem like much but it used to open files at 55%, the same way they were saved.

Windell H. Oskay, Ph.D.
Co-Founder and Chief Scientist
Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories
175 San Lazaro Ave, STE 150
Sunnyvale CA 94086
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

Windell H. Oskay

Nov 23, 2016, 3:13:33 PM11/23/16
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com

> On Nov 23, 2016, at 8:57 AM, Robert Dering <der...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Z is for Zoom found in the lower right corner of the Inscape Window.
>
> All I wish to do is set up a page template, hight, width and grid size. Then save it as a .svg file on my desktop. When I open it I want it to be the same zoom size as when I saved it. That is usually at 55%. That does not happen now. It opens at 150%. I have to go to the zoom box and manually reduce it to 55%. The same thing happens when I create an egg design on the template at the zoom size of 55%, save it to the desktop and then reopen it. I did not have that problem before I upgraded the operating system to Sierra 10.12.1.
>
> It is just a pain to have to do this every time I open a template or an egg design. If there is no correction available, that is OK and I will just do it manually each time.
>
> Thanks!
> Bob

Hi Bob,
If I understand correctly, this is about your visual zoom on the document, not the actual size of the objects? That's quite a different issue!

I've done some testing, and find that (if the right steps are followed) an Inkscape document will save its zoom setting quite well.

A few suggestions:

1. Make sure that you are saving the documents as "Inkscape SVG" file format, rather than "plain SVG". Your window zoom settings are not saved within a plain SVG file.

2. Check the system preferences (Edit > Preferences), to make sure that you have the settings correct.

Under the Interface heading (on the left-hand column), the "Saving window geometry (size and position)" element should have "Save and restore window geometry for each document" selected.

3. Make sure that the document _actually_ saves when you have your zoom settings how you want them.

After some experimenting, it appears that Inkscape does not actually save changes to your file unless it believes that a "significant" change has been made, and zoom settings are apparently not considered "significant."

If I open up a document "design.svg" and try to save it immediately (either with ctrl-s or by selecting Save from the File menu), the file does not actually get saved. If I adjust the view and zoom, it still does not save-- and so the view settings are not recorded in the file. However, if I make a larger change-- for example drawing a rectangle or grouping an element, it will change the name of the file in the title bar to "*design.svg" (with a leading asterisk), at which point it will save.

So, if you adjust your view settings and want to make sure that your file gets saved with those settings, I would recommend (for example) drawing a rectangle and then undo, so that Inkscape notes a significant change, and will allow you to save the file. If I follow this method, then the file does open up again with the correct zoom.