Opening .svg file in inkscape

Peter Esso

Nov 21, 2016, 4:31:22 PM11/21/16
to EggBotUser
When I used to open an .svg file in inkscape its would open at 53% size/ That was the % size it was created in. Now the files are opened at160% and I have to decrease it manually to 53%. How do I get back to opening the file at 53%?

Windell H. Oskay

Nov 21, 2016, 4:58:25 PM11/21/16
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com

> On Nov 21, 2016, at 1:31 PM, Peter Esso <der...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> When I used to open an .svg file in inkscape its would open at 53% size/ That was the % size it was created in. Now the files are opened at160% and I have to decrease it manually to 53%. How do I get back to opening the file at 53%?

There's a lot of variation in SVG files, and Inkscape handles them with varying degrees of success.

I don't recall off-hand a change in how Inkscape handles the scale of imported files. However, I have seen a lot of cases recently where imported data comes in at very different scales depending on the environment that it has been imported from.

One thing that you might try is opening an Inkscape template in your preferred units and then using the File>Import command to place the file, rather than File>Open. If the SVG file that you are opening does not have a "viewBox" specified, this can sometimes help to resolve the error.

If you're generating the SVG file yourself (or importing from a specific place), I might be able to provide some additional suggestions.

Cheers,
-Windell

Windell H. Oskay, Ph.D.
Co-Founder and Chief Scientist