Egg Preparation for Sharpie marker or Rapidograph Pens?

Claude McVea

Apr 12, 2015, 5:38:05 PM4/12/15
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com

Egg Preparation for Sharpie marker or Rapidograph Pens?

Sure, I guess this question was asked and answered before but I could not find the answer and my Egg-Bot Pro is in shipping now. I’m trying to get a head start on the egg preparation.

Q.      Blow before or after drawing?

Q.      After Blowing, Wash the inside with what?

Q.      After Drawing, Wash the outside with what?

Lenore M. Edman

Apr 12, 2015, 5:59:31 PM4/12/15
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Claude,
I prefer to draw on regular raw eggs, and then blow them if they turn out well. I used to rinse blown eggs with water, but I've gotten lazy. It's hard to keep the water away from the ink to prevent smearing.

If I'm using, for instance, Copic markers, I like to wash the egg first with an alcohol wipe to remove any grease from handling. Sharpie ink will stick to just about anything, so I don't do that if I'm using Sharpies. I don't do any cleaning after plotting.

Some people put a clear coat on after plotting, but I haven't done that, so I don't know what ones work well.

Best,
Lenore

Dan Newman

Apr 12, 2015, 6:42:27 PM4/12/15
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
On 12/04/2015 2:25 PM, Claude McVea wrote:

> Egg Preparation for Sharpie marker or Rapidograph Pens?
>
> Sure, I guess this question was asked and answered before but I could not
> find the answer and my Egg-Bot Pro is in shipping now. I’m trying to get a
> head start on the egg preparation.
>
> Q. Blow before or after drawing?

Blow before drawing. For me at least, this is the stage at
which I'm most likely to break the egg. No point in drawing
all over it to only then break it later when evacuating the
contents.

I use these. (Unfortunately, those folks are out of stock right now.)

http://www.bestpysanky.com/Blas-Fix-Egg-Blower-p/blwr-2.htm

> Q. After Blowing, Wash the inside with what?

I use warm water with a slight amount of bleach.

For some chicken eggs and some inks, I also treat the outside
of the egg (before blowing) with a quick wash in water with
a little vinegar. Don't leave the eggs in too long as the
vinegar will dissolve the shell. This process helps the inks
to absorb a bit better. I've never done this for sharpies
though. I do this for the inks I load into technical pens.

> Q. After Drawing, Wash the outside with what?

Nothing. But clear coat with a few light coats of spray on
clear acrylic satin finish.

Dan

Anthony DeVito

Apr 13, 2015, 9:02:00 AM4/13/15
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
I draw on mine raw, full and warmed to room temperature (to avoid condensation)

I find that the eggs are much weaker if I blow them out so I can't seat them as firmly in the egg-bot.

I blow them out afterwards using a one hole egg blower after breaking the yolk up with a slightly bent large paper clip. I don't lose very many though I have to be careful to not get yolk on the exterior of the egg in the process so cleanup of the exterior is minimal.

Anthony DeVito
tonyd...@gmail.com

Claude McVea

Apr 14, 2015, 12:11:46 PM4/14/15
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dan I think I have a good starting point and look forward to having lots of fun with my new Egg-Bot Pro!

Claude McVea

Apr 14, 2015, 12:11:46 PM4/14/15
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply, I'm excited to get started now!

Claude McVea

Apr 14, 2015, 12:11:46 PM4/14/15
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the follow-up, I have a good idea on the direction I want to go now. You comments are veryhelpful.

Claude McVea

Apr 14, 2015, 12:11:46 PM4/14/15
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you; this is very helpful.

Dan Newman

Apr 14, 2015, 12:26:37 PM4/14/15
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
On 14/04/2015 3:53 AM, Claude McVea wrote:
> Thanks Dan I think I have a good starting point and look forward to having
> lots of fun with my new Egg-Bot Pro!

FWIW, I mostly use duck eggs which are readily available through sellers
on eBay. When you purchase duck eggs, they are already evacuated. The nice
thing about duck eggs are they are harder, slightly larger, and generally
smoother.

Dan

Claude McVea

Apr 14, 2015, 1:30:22 PM4/14/15
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dan,
Very straight forward, solid information. I really appreciate this.

Dan

Mack
Claude Sterling McVea Electronic Signature
Claude McVea
Los Pecos Senior Apartments
5950 S Pecos Rd
Las Vegas, NV 89120
36.082353, -115.098660
correspondence to me is best via email

The miracle is this: The more we share, the more we have.

         Leonard Nimoy

P please consider our environment before printing this email.

Douglas Ward

Apr 13, 2017, 11:58:06 AM4/13/17
to EggBotUser