EFBC-Feline Conservation Center April News

Cat House News

Apr 25, 2016, 12:21:59 PM4/25/16
to EFBC-FelineConservationCenter
We are proud to announce the birth of Pallas' Cat (Octocolobus manul) kittens on March 28. Mom Minka came here from the Cincinnati Zoo, while dad Luka is from Red River Zoo North Dakota. The Pallas's cat is also known as a Manul. About the size of a large domestic cat, the manul is covered with long course fur, sandy to grey in base colour with white tips on the guard hairs which gives an overall 'frosted' appearance. The legs are short and stumpy compared to the overall body size - the small broad head has high set eyes, and low set hair covered ears. The head has a striped facial ruff. The tail of the manul cat is tipped with black and has darker rings toward the end, similar dark markings can also be faintly seen across the side of its back. The range of the manul extends from Iran through southern Asia to parts of western China. These kittens are off display, including at Twilight Tour.

The Sand Cat kittens are 8 weeks old now, and can be seen in the public display area when they are out playing. Lots of photos online, also on the Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/EFBCs-Feline-Conservation-Center-159728104075035/) or on Instagram @wildcatzoo

Our first Twilight Tour of the year is this Saturday, on April 30.  These special evening open houses are held three times a year (spring, summer, and fall). The only time the compound is open in the evening, the cats are much more active, and we give them all enrichment items. Also, visitors can wander around parts of the compound that are not open to visitors during the day. This is because Twilight Tours are restricted to adults only (18 and over). There is an admission fee of $20 per person.  We do not offer online tickets sales currently, please call 661.256.3793 between 10 am and 4 pm (except Wednesdays) to prepay over the phone. You can pay at the door but that is cash only, and we will let prepaid people enter first.  Doors open no later than 5 pm until it's dark out. There is a bake sale sponsored by FCC's American Association of Zookeepers (AAZK) chapter, a raffle, a barbeque by the Rotary club, and other surprises - goldfish in the fishing cat ponds, watermelons for the jaguars - there's something different every time, and of course lots of beautiful cats to see, hear, and photograph.

Feline Follies is August 13, info and sponsor package at http://www.wildcatzoo.org/follies.html

We are still raising money to replace our small public restroom with an improved facility. In addition, our clinic's basement flooded in the rains so we are patching the adobe structure. And the septic tank for the current public toilet is acting up. It's been a rough start to the year!

If you love to shop online, please remember us, those free-to-you donations really add up for us! Just start at our web page or these links:
Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/?&tag=felineconservati&camp=216797&creative=394585&linkCode=ur1&adid=0B5KE87M46JR1VJJ0PNH&
IGive: http://www.igive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=31&mid=270
GoodShop: http://www.goodsearch.com/goodshop.aspx

PLEASE NOTE: Every September 1st Ralphs requires rewards members to re-register their charity of choice!
Ralphs rewards is a free donation program. When you shop at Ralphs and use your rewards card, Ralphs will donate a percentage of your purchases to EFBC/FCC. The more you buy, the higher a percentage Ralphs will donate. We appreciate you taking a few minutes to register EFBC/FCC as your charity of choice today.
1. Go to www.ralphs.com
2. Sign in to or Register for Ralphs rewards account
3. Click on “My Account”
4. Click on “Community Rewards”
5. Fill out the required information
6. To designate EFBC/FCC as your charity – Enter NPO # 82845
7. Save all changes
minkapc4wk_6016.jpg
sand8wk_6067.jpg