EFBC-Feline Conservation Center February News

Cat House News

Feb 14, 2018, 6:35:52 PM2/14/18
to EFBC-FelineConservationCenter
We will be hosting a Member's Appreciation Night on February 24th from 4:30 to 6:30 pm. We'll have both the red lights and the regular lights on (sunset 5:44 pm). Featuring tiger treats, mountain lion training sessions, other cat enrichments, a small silent auction, and more. Memberships will be available that evening. Individual memberships remain at $25 per year. There is a new "couples" membership for 2 adults, at $40 per year. Family memberships are $60 per year. For more options see http://www.wildcatzoo.org/membership.html

Our newest resident is Abby the black-footed cat (Felis nigripes). Black footed cats are the 7th felid species native to South Africa (the others are lion, leopard, cheetah, caracal, serval, and African wild cat), and by far the least known. This cat only weighs 2-5 pounds (1-2.5 kilo) and is only active at night. It is boldly patterned with blackish oblong spots, and its legs are barred with thick dark stripes. The undersides of its feet are black. The black-footed cat is restricted to the arid lands of Southern Africa. It is typically associated with open, sandy, grassy habitats with sparse shrub and tree cover, such as the Kalahari and Karoo regions. The northernmost records are from Namibia and Botswana although the species may occur in the south-western corner of Angola. Many animals, both captive and wild, die at a young age due to a genetic condition called amyloidosis that leads to renal failure. Abby is 10 years old, meaning she is past the early death stage that so many cats unfortunately suffer. She is not on display.

The cooler temperatures are a great time to visit the cats in Rosamond, they have been quite active in the sunny cool weather. Please dress warmly, especially if the wind is blowing.

We now offer VIP behind-the-scenes tours, starting at $500. Please contact us for more details - email cath...@qnet.com or call 661.256.3793

If you want to make a directed donation, our current projects are renewing the Snow Leopard enclosure, and installing our new modular bathroom trailer. We still need more funds to complete refurbishment and installation.

We also need more volunteers to help with cleaning and visitors. Read http://www.wildcatzoo.org/volunteer.html for more information. We now hold new volunteer training the first Sunday of every month at 10 am. Hours start at 8 am for zookeeper volunteers, but yard docents have flexible hours between 10 am and 4 pm. Even just a few hours helps!

Other upcoming event dates will be:

Military Appreciation Days May 27 & 28

2018 Twilight Tours: April 28 * June 30  * September 15

Feline Follies August 11

I hope you are following our Facebook page for all the latest photos.

If you love to shop online, please remember us, those free-to-you donations really add up for us! Just start at our web page or these links:
Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/?&tag=felineconservati&camp=216797&creative=394585&linkCode=ur1&adid=0B5KE87M46JR1VJJ0PNH&
IGive: http://www.igive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=31&mid=270
GoodShop: http://www.goodsearch.com/goodshop.aspx

PLEASE NOTE: Every September 1st Ralphs requires rewards members to re-register their charity of choice!
Ralphs rewards is a free donation program. When you shop at Ralphs and use your rewards card, Ralphs will donate a percentage of your purchases to EFBC/FCC. The more you buy, the higher a percentage Ralphs will donate. We appreciate you taking a few minutes to register EFBC/FCC as your charity of choice today.
1. Go to www.ralphs.com
2. Sign in to or Register for Ralphs rewards account
3. Click on “My Account”
4. Click on “Community Rewards”
5. Fill out the required information
6. To designate EFBC/FCC as your charity – Enter NPO # 82845
abby8_3265.jpg