Reality Check : Is ITC e-Choupal Just a FICTION ?

venkat efarm

Oct 17, 2013, 6:33:46 PM10/17/13
to ef...@googlegroups.com
Reality Check : IS ITC e-choupal , India's best known 'case study' on rural ICT just FICTION !?

One of the most frequently asked(irritating) questions we get is 'how is efarm different from e-choupal?

Most people would have heard the glorious success stories of ITC e-choupal , and their IT initiatives to teach farmers websites and give them fair rates etc ONLY FROM media reports or case studies.

a) Have YOU ever seen a 'physical operational' ITC e-choupal kiosk in your life?

b)Have you ever visited the website of e-choupal in your LIFE ? Dont worry it is : http://www.echoupal.com/
c) The website of e-choupal have NO emails, NO phone numbers, NO contact information, NO list of locations , and NO prices of commodities

d)Even for a progressive farmer who wants to signup , there is NO registration page !

This is how it has been for over 5 years since i have seen the site and even commented to a few of their management when we meet in conferences !But their 'awards and media' links keeps on getting refereshed!
Why ?
a)
ITC 's primary product is TOBACCO = CIGARETTES which KILLS people and CANNOT be advertised under Indian law and now subject to huge media campaign. It NEEDs soft Public Relations to counter that and what better to put some poor farmer faces on its websites !
b)
Most of ITC's own purchases does NOT come from e-choupal but from mandi's directly. Ask any of their procurement managers where they get their raw materials from.
c) ITC hotels chain also procures from local suppliers/mandies and not from their OWN e-choupla/ ABD ! Ask their chef's why !

we would be happy to post any comments from ITC management/staff who work in e-choupal ...