Agri Marketing Tip #2: Price Calculation - Detailed (Contnd from tip#1)

efarm Venky

Oct 22, 2013, 12:26:43 PM10/22/13
to ef...@googlegroups.com
From:
Raghavan Goshala <pasu.r...@gmail.com>
if u could list what are all the heads expenses we can include, like cost of water, rent of the land, interests of other investments,cost of self/family labour ect.would be better,ji.
Thanks Pasu Raghavan sir for the response... I have elaborated the expenses under diff headings for better understanding ...

  1. Agri Marketing Tip #2: Price Calculation - Detailed  (Contnd from tip#1)

    Thanks for responses from many for Tip#1 , and requests for more details on the calculation of expenses. These are some typical expenses for a 'generic' vegetable short cycle crop, starting from scratch. (and some common practices/thumb rules)

    Key expense headers :

    a) Land cost
    For most farmers as they inherit land for 'free' from ancestors this is ZERO ! But if you were to 'lease' land today, typical rates are Rs 10,000 per acre per year.

    b) Land Preparation cost
    Make soil ready, flattening, making bunds etc . Usualy done by tractors/tools so rentals cost/ day

    c) Fertilisers
    If organic, then usualy input costs may be cheaper but compensate for manual labour required to prepare ingredients

    d)Seed/Sapling costs
    Farmers used to make their own seeds (from previous crop) or exchange seeds with others. But thanks to modernisation & laziness, buying seeds from shops is the norm. Also, tissue culture crops (or from nurseries) and planting as saplings is increasing chances of survival. So this costs varies with method chosen.

    e)Planting costs
    Labour costs for short duration (typically ladies) for 2-3 days .
    Use of tools/tractors with automatic planting trays is also common now.Then add rentals
    Some plants need additional support (planter boxes, frames, shade nets etc). Equate to a 'per harvest' cost .

    f)Water / Electricity
    Though govt does give free electricty , it often is too erratic times or low voltage to run motors. Use of diesl to run pumps incur costs. So also additional costs of bore wells/drip (but dont add ALL the fixed expense to a single harvest- these have to be spread over life of the equipments- take 10 years)

    g)Weeding
    Often farmers spend a LOT of labour in plucking weeds , which adds a LOT to their expenses. If proper mulching is done , can reduce the growth of weeds and also costs drastically.

    h)Pest control
    Pesticides - Materials costs + Labour to apply periodically is very high.
    Pests/Insects are EVERYWHERE ! Whether organic or inorganic cultivation, they DO come - often RIGHT around harvest when the crop is in full bloom and ravage it ! A key insight - they often come at NIGHT when you are sleeping , so youll never know what 'ate' ur crops
    Instead of synthetic chemicals/poisons , there are LOTS of organic or 'bio pest' control techniques and tools to safeguard the farms.
    Also have heard from experts that plants themselves give out smells/tastes which can repel them (especially tulsi is known to be good inspect repellant)

    i) Harvesting
    Often manually done, and over a period. Typically vegetables require plucking every alternate day for say 2-3 weeks to a few months . Finding labour is biggest challenge. Use of harvester tools is more common in plantation crops or staple crops (sugarcane , wheat , paddy etc) but still require manpower to loading/packing

    j) Storage/Loading / Transport
    In most cases buyers bring their team at time of harvest to pick items at their cost. If not, farmer handles it .
    Even plastic bags cost Rs 25+ today , crates Rs 300+ per piece!

    Though it seems like an elaborate exercise, often this can be done with just pen and paper or a blackboard. Avoid laptops ! You will find farmers coming forward more easily if you use simple tools and even in their own mother tongue . And typically once you start doing for few, most data points will be similar .. for e.g. most horticultural crops we find the cost of production ranges between Rs 5 - Rs 8 per kg max. And more than 60% of costs is always LABOUR which is always on CASH BASIS .
         k) Own Salary : Most farmers NEVER add this . Based on the time/effort which is invested by farmer in his OWN land , please add what you would want to 'take home' as a salary. Most farmers are often 'confused' by this statement. So understand as - In case you DONT work in your farm and have to HIRE a manager to oversee ALL the above activities , how much would you PAY HIM ? Take that as YOUR salary ..

l) Bank EMIs : Try to equate all payments for bank loans / money lenders as a monthly debt. Calculate for the entire period of the crop cycle.
m) Misc : Any other special costs related to the crop or unique location/condition

Total COST of Production  : Sum of all the expenses (from a through m )

TIP summary  :Reduce labour related costs wherever possible by using better techniques/tools to reduce overall cost of production.

Ramkumar R S(RSRi)

Oct 22, 2013, 12:49:06 PM10/22/13
to efarm+...@googlegroups.com, ef...@googlegroups.com, efarm...@gmail.com

If any of you in the group could share an actual excel sheet (Excluding land cost and own salary) of actual cost of production for 1 or 2 sample crops, it will be helpful. (Not a hypothetical one, but an actual expenses incurred one)

Ramkumar

efarm Venky

Oct 22, 2013, 1:06:03 PM10/22/13
to Ramkumar R S(RSRi), efarm+...@googlegroups.com, ef...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ram :

These are the templates and some exmaples of crops which we have used during our workshops/farmer interaction sessions.

As most farmers do not keep detailked accounts of their expenses, (leave alone in excel), we realise it is better to sit and work it out in pen/paper step by step.
Also the data points depend a lot on farmers technque (for e.g precision farming has much better yield than conventional - just pacing the crops correct 6-12 inches makes huge variations in harvest), local labour costs , whether they have leased entire farm to buyer etc.,

and labour costs ARE the key killer points...and avoiding own salary is NOT recommended becuase thats is the MAIN reason why farmers never seem to make any money for their OWN homes.. also it is drawing farmers AWAY fro farming becuase they see factories/city jobs offering a fixed salary end of the month , whereas farming the costs/profits are never known till harvest  !!

Not putting own salary will give a MUCH reduced break even costs (which basically means farmer and family is working for FREE for himslef) and is NOT adviced.
--
Venkat
e: efarm...@gmail.com

efarm Venky

Oct 22, 2013, 1:23:55 PM10/22/13
to Raghavan Goshala, ef...@googlegroups.com
On 22-10-2013 22:30, Raghavan Goshala wrote:
for a long time iam trying this . hope in two days i will complete this and give u a model pricing formula.
thanks

Nice to see your enthusiasm Raghavan sir. We have worked this out even with illiterate farmers using just blackbaord and encouraging them to come up and write it out... and within minutes they thgemselves started completing the costing ...

see the pics atatched for working calcualtions we did with anatapur area farmers
  •   (elakki banana )
  • ground nut
  • tomato
We can assist you and your groups even over skype / web conference to walk you through the steps...

And in our efarmdirect portal , we have farmers now setting their own prices and contact buyers based on price negotiations , rather than depending on 'govt' or 'market' ... buyers too prefer dealing with them and have even advanced cash much before , becuase it avoids the last minute fluctuations in prices ... its better for everyone if farmers start calculating and setting own prices...

Also there are these web based online calculators : (bit USA centric but you can alter them for indian conditions)

On 22-10-2013 22:30, Raghavan Goshala wrote:
for a long time iam trying this . hope in two days i will complete this and give u a model pricing formula.
thanks
--
Shree.jpg       Kannan K.
சுத்த நாட்டுப்பசு கோமய திருநீறு

SAB KE SAATH -SAB KAA VIKAS
let gomata shower her blessing on you and ur family & team members,
ever in the services of our nation,
Pasu Seshadri Raghavan,Founder Secretary, Eco ashram,
Aaniraicholai,29,punavasal villege. kamalapuram, needamangalam taluk,(8th km on tiruvarur-mannargudi road),& vidayal karuppur agraharam, off.kodavasal - valangaiman main road
Thiruvarur District - 610 102. Tamilnadu, India.
cell:0-944 464 6223, 0-938 274 6223,938 260 9268, 0-938 104 3648. City off:20,meettu kazhani street, adambakkam, chennai-600 088

We encourage you to please visit our Ecoashram at the following addresses:
http://picasaweb.google.com/pasu.raghavan
website id: eco-ashram.com,www.gorakshna.org., CLEAN FOOD EATERS <clean-fo...@googlegroups.com>         facebook id:Seshadri Raghavan Raghavan, skype ld:pasu.raghavan1
SAB KE SAATH -SAB KAA VIKAS - NaMo.
Our philosophy is that you produce your food anywhere. You stay, and keep cows, take milk, produce vegetables, food grains, and chant Hare Krishna. That's all. This is our philosophy. Make your life successful. [Srila Prabhupada Conversations: May 25, 1974, Rome]

--
Venkat
e: efarm...@gmail.com

Raghavan Goshala

Oct 22, 2013, 1:54:27 PM10/22/13
to efarm Venky, ef...@googlegroups.com
venkatji,i have replied for preparing excl sheet.
what ever the prices we have made farmers to fix it for their  output, by seeing the market prevailing price the farmers can not sell it in large scale or continuously.  since six months the prices are not fair for the farmers. tomatto is 20/  at the street vendar's cart. what would have been the purchases price at the land?  that is the problem,ji.