"Superior Revelation" by Rod Bayley, 6 February 2011, Heb. 1:1-14

1 view

Danny

Mar 5, 2011, 1:07:41 AM3/5/11
to Sermons from Wollongong Baptist Church
Let me share about a mysterious document with you, one which caused an
international controversy. Born in 1765 in France, James Smithson was
the illegitimate son of the English Duke of Northumberland, and was
also a direct descendant of King Henry VII. Due to his illegitimacy,
he was refused British citizenship, but he became one of England’s
leading scientists and a member of the Royal Society, the chief
association of leading scientists, at only the age of 22. However, in
1829, Smithson who had never married, died at the age of 64. He left
his considerable fortune from his mother’s side to his nephew,
although his fortune would not continue with his nephew’s family if
his nephew died without an heir. Rumour had it that his entire estate
was to go to one recipient upon the nephew’s death, and the English
scientific community hoped that he had made a sizable grant to one of
their favourite institutions. But when the terms of the will were
made public when the nephew died 6 years later, they were shocked. He
gave everything to the United States government for the establishment
of a scientific institution in Washington. Smithson's reason for
seeking to establish a research and educational institution in a new
country, on another continent, remains a mystery. To this day, the
Smithsonian Institution is recognized as one of the most prominent
institutions of its kind in the world. It is now the world's largest
museum complex, composed of a group of national museums housing the
U.S.'s national collections in natural history, American history, air
and space, and the fine arts. But how all this came about is still a
mystery - Smithson chose not to reveal his thinking to anyone.

This brings us to the first point on your outline: ‘What we can know
about Hebrews.’ As we commence a series on the book of Hebrews today,
we come to a letter in the New Testament which is quite a mystery, but
unlike Smithson’s will, we do know why the document includes what it
does. The main mystery is that almost two thousand years after it was
written, we still don’t know who the author is, and probably never
will. Because the author chose not to reveal his name, their have
been various guesses that perhaps it was Barnabas or Paul, but we
don’t actually know. This led to the letter initially not being
accepted or included in the New Testament books, as a key criteria for
inclusion was the authorship. A crucial question for the early church
fathers who compiled the bible was always: “Is it written by an
apostle, or someone associated closely with the apostles?” This was
not the only criteria for inclusion, but because they couldn’t answer
the question of authorship, it wasn’t officially accepted as inspired
Scripture until the fourth century.

In addition, there is the mystery of the recipients of the letter.
Because there is not the usual introduction at the beginning of this
letter, so-and-so writing to so-and-so, the unknown author doesn’t
name his readers. We’re not sure who he was specifically writing to,
although we can ascertain some general characteristics from the letter
itself. Firstly, the title of the letter, ‘Hebrews’, tells us that it
was written to Jewish or Hebrew Christians, although it was a later
addition. The letter itself does support this understanding so it
seems it was a good title to add, as it draws heavily on the Old
Testament, quoting it numerous times. It especially assumes an
understanding of the old covenant. So the letter is thought to have
been circulated amongst a number of churches scattered throughout the
Roman empire, as the Jewish believers spread following the persecution
in Jerusalem that started with the matyrdom of Stephen in Acts 7.

The context of the letter is clearer, being shaped by this period of
persecution. In Hebrews 10:32-35 we learn something of the readers
and what they faced:
“Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when
you stood your ground in a great contest in the face of suffering.
33Sometimes you were publicly exposed to insult and persecution; at
other times you stood side by side with those who were so treated.
34You sympathized with those in prison and joyfully accepted the
confiscation of your property, because you knew that you yourselves
had better and lasting possessions. 35So do not throw away your
confidence; it will be richly rewarded.”
These Jewish Christians had begun with a glad public acknowledgment of
their faith, despite strong opposition, but now they were in danger of
falling away into apathy and indifference about Christ. As the letter
unfolds, it appears that the readers were tending to return to trust
in Judaism’s old covenant. With that context, it is clear what the
purpose of the letter is, and the writer confirms that in Hebrews
13:22: “Brothers, I urge you to bear with my word of exhortation, for
I have written you only a short letter.” It describes itself as a
“word of exhortation” or ‘message of encouragement,’ and its aim is to
encourage people to stop moving away from Christian faith and
practice.

Having considered the background to the letter, that brings us to
point two on your outline: ‘The final word.’ Notice again was is
stated in verses 1 to 3:
“In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many
times and in various ways, 2but in these last days he has spoken to us
by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he
made the universe. 3The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the
exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his
powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat
down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.”
What is being primarily conveyed here is the Son’s superiority to the
prophets - he is the superior revelation, the final word sent by the
Father. “In the past” refers to the Old Testament record and God’s
dealings with the nation of Israel, His chosen people. God’s
interaction with the nation of Israel, the forebears of the readers of
this letter, is described as being “through the prophets at many times
and in various ways.” Prophets were God’s chosen spokesman to the
nation, through whom He chose to communicate. God’s words through the
prophets are recorded in Scripture from Moses to Malachi. The Bible
records a great variety of ways in which God spoke in the past. He
spoke to Moses out of a burning bush (Ex.3), and in a still small
voice to Elijah (1 Kgs 19:12). He wrote on palace walls for King
Belshazzar in Daniel. He opened up the mouth of Balaam’s donkey to
rebuke Balaam. He sent prophets to kings. He spoke through dreams
and visions to Pharaoh and King Nebuchadnezzar and others. He used
angels to deliver his message. This is just some of the many times
and in various ways.

Then, in verse 2 there is an important but - a sharp contrast is being
highlighted: “But in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son.”
By the phrase “these last days” the writer means that span of time in
God’s communication with mankind which began with the coming of God’s
Son, Jesus Christ, and which continued up to the writer’s day. That
span of time has continued up to our present day - we are still living
in the “last days” and we will do so until Christ returns.

Notice the contrasting parallels between verses 1 and 2. In verse 1
the writer speaks of “in the past,” while in verse 2 it is “these last
days.” In verse 1 the writer includes the phrase, “to our
forefathers,” while in contrast verse 2 states “to us.” Finally, and
most importantly, while verse 1 says God spoke “in various ways,”
verse 2 asserts that God’s final word has now come “by his Son.”
God’s word was not completely uttered until Christ came, but when
Christ came, the word spoken in him was indeed God’s final word. The
story of God revealing his plans is a story of progression up to
Christ, but there is no progression beyond him.

The phrase “by his Son” suggests very strongly that the author of
Hebrews does not think of the Son as one more prophet, or even as the
supreme prophet. Something more fundamental is at issue. The
expression “by the Son” is literally “in Son.” The point is that in
these last days God has disclosed Himself once and for all. It is not
that Jesus simply brings God’s words as the prophets did - He is God’s
word. The Son is God incarnate, God in flesh speaking with
incomparable clarity. Jesus is therefore the climax - the final word
from God.

Don Bradman was a cricketing legend - he was Australia's finest
batsmen ever, and in fact the greatest batsman the world will ever
see. His batting average remains unrivaled to this day, being almost
double of that of the next best players. He first represented
Australia in the 1928-29 season, and over the next 20 years rewrote
all the record books, finishing with a test match average of 99.94.
Even if you are not a cricket fan, he is arguably the most outstanding
sports-person for any sport ever, because he so outclasses anyone who
has ever played cricket in a way that no other sports-person has ever
dominated their chosen sport. Federer may be a great tennis player,
but he is not beyond comparison, the now much-maligned Tiger Woods is
a great golfer, but there have been others like Jack Nicklaus. But
Bradman is the final word on batting, on cricket - the unsurpassable
pinnacle. There is no-one who compares, who even comes close.

Well, it’s a poor comparison, but Jesus is the definitive word on God
- He is the ultimate example of being in a class of His own. In
verses 2 and 3 we see that Jesus is the Creator with the Father -
‘through whom he made the universe;’ he also sustains creation -
‘sustaining all things by his powerful word;’ he also is our redeemer
- he ‘provided purification for sins;’ and having finished his saving
work, he also rules with the Father - ‘he sat down at the right hand
of the Majesty in heaven.’ The Son is therefore clearly superior to
any prophet - He is God, our Creator, Sustainer, Redeemer and Ruler.

Also highlighted in these verses is the unique relationship of the Son
to the Father. The Son is “the radiance of God’s glory and the exact
representation of his being.” That is, Jesus is the divine Son of
God. The phrase “the radiance of God’s glory” refers to all God’s
greatness and majesty being present in the Son - perfectly and fully
mirrored in Jesus. The phrase “the exact representation of his being”
indicates that the Son truly and fully demonstrates the character of
God the Father. When we see and hear what the Son is like, we see and
hear completely what God the Father is like. The Father reveals
Himself through the Son, or speaks through the Son. And the Father
exalts the Son - he appoints the Son as heir of all things and gives
him the place of the honour at the right hand.

All of this leads to an application for ourselves today in terms of
guidance. Many Christians are anxious about guidance today. This is
often because Christians are aware that God has demonstrated in the
O.T. that He can communicate with His people in various ways. The
result is that often Christians look for God to guide them through
unique signs, or arranging the circumstances in their life. Firstly,
we need to affirm that God is at work in everything - He is sovereign
or in control of all things. For example, Proverbs 16:9 says “In his
heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.”
Nothing can thwart God’s plans - we must never underestimate God’s
ability to guide us ‘behind the scenes.’

Secondly, however, this is different to our ‘conscious cooperation’
with God in seeking His guidance. We have seen in verses 1 to 3 that
Jesus is God’s complete, and therefore final word to us. Therefore,
we don’t need Gideon’s fleece - there is no more up-to-date message
than Jesus. Now of course, in saying this I am not limiting what God
may choose to do. If He should choose, God could still send us dreams
and he often uses such approaches in countries where his word is
suppressed. But in terms of what we should expect, and in terms of
what God has promised to do, the record of Christ’s life and all its
implications in the bible, is the method. The Christian hasn’t been
given a map, an exact blueprint of their whole life, rather we’ve been
give a compass, or rather a guide who leads us - Jesus Christ. The way
we follow Jesus is by growing in our understanding of God’s word.
There are no easy answers to every decision faced in life, only for
the moral decisions which we’re given clear black and white statements
on. Questions which are not about morality are wisdom issues. So, if
I’m looking for guidance on a wisdom issue, the bible may give me
principles to follow, such as are offered in the wisdom books of the
bible, but it won’t give me direct answers. In such cases, if we are
struggling with making a decision, i.e. to live here or there, we
should pray and ask God for wisdom, and then make a decision with the
mind that God has given us. That’s what we are told to do in James
1:5. God’s interest is in our holiness ultimately. That is his big
agenda for our lives, and so whether we take this job or that job, the
real question is whether we are living a godly life. We don’t need a
sign, but we need to read God’s word, pray and seek counsel, and use
the mind that God has blessed us with.

This brings us to point three on your outline: ‘The Son is superior to
angels.’ Not only is Jesus superior to human messengers or prophets,
he is also superior to heavenly messengers or angels. In verses 5 to
14 we are told why Jesus is greater than angels. Notice that Jesus is
the Son of God and angels are not in verse 5; that the angels are to
worship Jesus in verse 6, and they like ourselves are only to worship
God, which again points to Christ being fully God. In verse 7 angels
are servants of God, while in verse 8 Jesus is God and rules
eternally. Further, in verse 9 Jesus has been set above all by the
Father, and in verses 10 to 12 Jesus is the unchanging Creator.
Finally, in verse 13, Jesus rules at the right hand of God and awaits
the defeat of his enemies.

To construct this list of why the Son is clearly superior to any
heavenly messengers, the writer has piled one Old Testament quote on
another. From verses 5 to 13 he has quoted Psalm 2:7, 2 Samuel 7:14,
Deuteronomy 32:43, Psalm 104:4, Psalm 45:6-7, Psalm 102:25-27 and
Psalm 110:1, in that order. They all lend weight to the writer’s
argument by using the authoritative word that was revered by Jews -
the Old Testament. Writing to these scattered Jewish Christians, this
provides a strong argument for the supremacy of Jesus, as he shows
over and over from every section of Scripture - the Law, the prophets,
and the Psalms, that Jesus is greater than God’s angels, who unlike
Christ are creatures made to do the Father’s bidding. This also
highlights the unity of the bible to believers who had a good working
knowledge of the Old Testament, and how the promises of old covenant
are fulfiled in the new.

But all this begs the question” ‘Why address the issue of angels at
all?’ This question doesn’t strike us as a pressing one, but for the
readers the angels were associated with the giving of the law on Mount
Sinai through Moses. Hebrews 2:2 notes that “the message spoken by
angels was binding,” which picks up similar references to their role
as mediators of the law in the O.T. (Deut.33:1-2; Ps.68:17) and the
new (Acts 7:53, Gal.3:19). The law included instructions about
priests and sacrifices which was fulfilled in Christ. And so you see
it’s the issue of revelation again, which causes the writer to address
this issue. If the giving of the law was marked by the presence of
angels, then its fulfilment was accomplished in the work of the Son.
Therefore, if the Christians to whom he was writing were tempted to
worship angels, as some were in the city of Colosse (Col.2:17), then
the writer wants to highlight that this is wrong.

In one sense, we can understand this problem, as there is a modern
fixation with angels as well. Even non-Christians like to talk about
angels, particularly guardian angels, and there are literally hundreds
of books. It is a topic often adopted by New Age bookshops, where the
books can range from addressing vague mystical ideas, to stories of
personal encounters, to occult dabbling. There are also many
websites, such as the ‘Angel guide’ website where you can browse
through sections on ‘angel readings’ which can include tarot cards and
crystals, to ‘angel writings’ and ‘true angel stories.’ What are
Christians to make of all this - what is the application? Well, the
bible clearly affirms their existence, and that they are creatures who
are messengers of God. Verse 14 states that they are ministering
spirits, sent to serve those who are being saved, that is Christians.
But we are only given limited information of how they work, and we are
not encouraged to pursue contact with them. We are neither to deny
their presence or become obsessed with them - they are the two errors
that we can also make with fallen angels.

This brings me to the final application - we are to exalt our Creator,
rather than any creature, even a heavenly creature. We might think
this is unlikely to be a problem for us, but the principle relates to
a bigger blindspot which can cause our focus on Christ to weaken.
Many today start exalting something or someone else in their lives,
another person takes the first priority, and their commitment to God
starts to wane. A creature takes priority over the Creator who made
us and designed us to relate to Him. Some slip away through the
enticements of a relationship or a career, some through busyness with
work or family or just apathy, some even through being hurt by another
Christian sadly. Hebrews was written to stop that drift - its
pastoral aim is to encourage people to stop moving away from their
Christian faith and practice, to arrest the slide. It does this by
putting Jesus back on his rightful pedestal, urging us to hold fast to
him. Well, where do you stand today in your faith? Is it strong, or
have you lost your first love? Make sure that God is number one - he
won’t tolerate anything less.