Reminder: EENPS Online Seminar - today, 17:00 (CET) - Zach: Mouse Models of Cancer: On Representation and Similarity

Borut Trpin

Apr 1, 2021, 2:41:05 AM4/1/21
to eenps_...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

let me remind you that you are all invited to join our online seminar later today (17:00 Central European Time). See below.
- -

We cordially invite you to the East European Network for Philosophy of Science (EENPS) online seminar.
Our speaker will be Martin Zach (Czech Academy of Sciences and Charles University) with the talk “Mouse Models of Cancer: On Representation and Similarity”.

The seminar will take place on April 1, 2021 at 17:00 (CET).

You can join the seminar via Zoom: https://zoom.us/j/92619208263

Abstract:

In this talk I will identify and analyze different epistemic roles of similarity judgments concerning a model and its target. In particular, mouse models such as the immunocompetent and immunodeficient transplantable models, genetically engineered models and humanized models used in cancer research and cancer immunology will be discussed. By distinguishing three research modes – model selection, extrapolation and creation - it will be argued that similarity judgments play different epistemic roles in each of the modes, which has some implications for the debate on scientific representation.

The aim of the EENPS online seminar series is in bringing together researchers from different parts of Europe, increasing their visibility, and facilitating dialog among them. The seminar will cover a wide range of topics with the goal of presenting a multitude of approaches to philosophy of science and its importance. The meetings are held online.

The next seminars will take place on the following dates with the following confirmed speakers:

Best wishes,
Borut Trpin and Vlasta Sikimić, the organisers
EENPS Seminar Martin Zach (with link).pdf