Russell A. Poldrack's talk in The Dutch Distinguished Lecture Series in Philosophy and Neuroscience

1 view

Daniel Kostic

Jan 10, 2022, 4:16:55 AM1/10/22
to Daniel Kostic

Dear all,

The next session of The Dutch Distinguished Lecture Series in Philosophy and Neuroscience, will take place on:

18 January 2022 at 15:00-17:00h (Central European Time, i.e. Amsterdam, Berlin, Paris)

The talk will be given via Zoom and is open to all. The talk will also be recorded and posted on our webpage in due course.

Please join via the following Zoom link.

Our guest speaker is:

Russell A. Poldrack
(Albert Ray Lang Professor in the Department of Psychology, and Director of the Stanford Center for Open and Reproducible Science at Stanford University)

Prof. Poldrack’s talk is entitled:

 "(How) can neuroimaging inform the architecture of the mind?​”

The abstract:

Many modern sciences have undergone conceptual revolutions, but the ontology of scientific psychology is largely the same as it was in the 19th Century.  I will discuss the limitations of common neuroimaging approaches for providing a new characterization of the organization of mental functions, and discuss approaches that may have the ability to enable data-driven discovery of mental structure from neuroimaging data. I will also discuss the limitations of natural language ontologies and the need for new languages in which to express ontologies of mental function, including computation and dynamical systems.

Russell A. Poldrack is the Albert Ray Lang Professor in the Department of Psychology, and Director of the Stanford Center for Open and Reproducible Science.  His research uses neuroimaging to understand the brain systems underlying decision making and executive function.  His lab is also engaged in the development of neuroinformatics tools to help improve the reproducibility and transparency of neuroscience, including the Openneuro.org and Neurovault.org data sharing projects and the Cognitive Atlas ontology.

For more information about The Dutch Distinguished Lecture Series in Philosophy and Neuroscience and the program of talks for this semester, please click here.

Very best wishes,

Daniel Kostic

Dr Daniel Kostic
Radboud Excellence Initiative Fellow
Institute for Science in Society (ISiS)
Radboud University, Huygens Building
Heyendaalseweg 135 6525 AJ, Nijmegen, The Netherlands.

Web: https://daniel-kostic.weebly.com

Guest editor in Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, theme issue: "Unifying the essential concepts of biological networks”.

E-mail: daniel (dot) kostic (at) gmail (dot) com
Tel.: +33 (0) 7 68 89 02 95
‪‭+31 (0) 6 25 08 70 01‬
Skype: danielkostic

Daniel Kostic

Jan 24, 2022, 4:03:06 AM1/24/22
to Daniel Kostic
Dear all,

Video recording of Russ Poldrack’s talk in the Dutch Distinguished Lecture Series in Philosophy and Neuroscience (http://daniel-kostic.weebly.com/dutch-distinguished-lecture-series.html) from last Tuesday (18 January 2022) is now online: https://youtu.be/8oaJ21kSL-4